Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Think I got sugared

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Col_Sanders, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I have a problem here...A few weeks ago I put a fuel injector spacer on the Blazer, which was parked for a few weeks while waiting on and installing the tranny. I got it all back together finally and got her driving. Wasnt running very well and started throwing check engine light. It was a code 45 rich condition at O2 sensor. I replaced the O2 sensor and reset the ECM and drove around for a bit.

Started getting the same code so I bought a TBI gasket set to replace the spacer and when I removed the TB it had a whitish brown residue on the back. It was new and on there fairly thick. It smelled like fuel and something else. Suspecting sugar (dont know who or why) I tasted it...it was kinda sweet. Put everything back together after a good cleaning and fired it up. It runs, sut has a slight knocking sound now, and the exhaust smells remarkably like brown sugar and it smokes. While it was sitting I have installed new headed gaskets, spark plugs, and Hypertech ignition and tranny. I had a really bad exhaust leak before the header gaskets and the muffler shop just installed the exhaust (again). The sound seems to be coming from the engine, more the rear, so I dont think its a leak.

What can I do to be sure its sugar and what are the odds that my motor is screwed? I heard Mythbusters did this test on a sbc and didnt really have an effect. Can/should I just drain the tank and replace the fuel filter or is it too late?

2. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

White residue that tastes sweet, smells like sugar when it runs, thats leaking/burning coolant. Guessing one of the new gaskets installed didn't seat right and its eating coolant.

3. SLOK5

SLOK5 1/2 ton status

I was thinking same thing, I would bet its a coolant leak at the head gasket...As far as the sugar thing goes working at a dealership I have came across this latley. Just yesterday we install a new fuel pump module and spark plugs in a caravan after we removed the tank and found sugar cubes stuck in the inlet port and serveral pieces that were desolving in the tank. She had misfire codes due to a stuck fuel regulator causing too high of psi and fouled plugs trying to burn it. And a worse one is a 2 liter bottle of coke dumped into a fuel tank. This is much worse as it ran ok thru the lines but once the injectors spit it out it crystalized in the intake and valves causing burnt valves! It was very strange to see it all built up in the intake runners and valve stems........Thats why I have a locking cap :D

4. Col_Sanders

That was actually header gaskets I replaced...

I did have some bubbles in the coolant reservoir when it was running and when i shut it off. I seem to remember it doing that before when I shut it off, but not when running. It was only a little and it stopped. My oil didnt have any water in it from what I could tell with the dipstick.

If I am hearing knocking though I am guessing its too late? It isnt really loud. I did the screwdriver trick and could hear it on the oil pan pretty strong but not really so much on the block. Sounds like its coming from the back of the engine.

Thanks for the help, glad to have this forum!

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

im gonna guess an intake gasket leak.

6. Col_Sanders

So if the head gasket is leaking, how would there be a residue on the TB? Also I really dont know much about engines but how would the intake gasket be causing it?

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

when an intake gasket leaks, it can go right into the intake port, which ironically goes right up under your throttle body. the intake will have slight pulses in pressure (especially so in a worn out motor, or one with a vac leak[especially one like an intake gasket :crazy: ]), allowing the coolant to be finely misted on the underside of the throttle body.

8. Col_Sanders

Its a pretty fresh rebuild. Only around 2k miles on it after the top end replacement. I used all Edelbrock, gaskets and everything.

Does the knock means she's done or could it be nothing major yet?

9. Col_Sanders

I need to resolve this quickly if possible. Supposed to be driving it to TX this weekend. How can I prove the intake gasket vs a head gasket? I can do the intake gasket fairly easy but dont have time to do the head gaskets. I have read about doing a compression test and if you have 2 clinders close together that are low and oil doesnt fix it it could be the head gasket. how do I prove the intake gasket to be good?

10. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

A leak down tester is what you need. Better for what you are looking for. You put the cylinder at TDC and install the tester in a spark plug hole and introduce compressed air into the cylinder. If you have more than 15-20% leakdown, you should be able to hear or see it in the radiator, or hear it in the exhaust or at the throttlebody.

11. Col_Sanders

Having it done tomorrow. Hopefully it is just the intake gasket. I really dont want to go down further. Thanks for the help guys.