Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Think I have air pocket in my coolant passages

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gravdigr, Apr 19, 2004.

1. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I installed a new intake and thermostat today and took the 86 out for a ride and it overheated. I think it may have an air pocket as the water pump worked just fine before I did the swap. What are some methods to diagnose and fix it? thanks.

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Your new thermostat may be defective . I have seen it happen before with a new thermostat.

3. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

First, Are you sure that the intake didnt have any restrictions built into it. second, make sure you installed the thermostat correctly then make sure you there is plenty of coolant in your overflow. now that I think of it when you"overheated" it it should have built enough pressure to force any trapped air out , assuming that everything else is ok.here is another thought, when it overheated, is it possible that there might have been a steam pocket right at the temp sensor? causing the guage to read higher than it really was?? let it cooltotally with the system sealed, then try it again, when the engine cools it will suck in more coolant to replace the air pocket. so let it cool and try it again odds are IF every thing is ok then it will probably be ok /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I don't think the thermostat is defective because the top hose was hot. And I don't think it is the guage because coolant was literally boiling out the puke tank and the sensor on this motor is in the block rather than the intake. I'm gonna let it cool tonight and check it tomorrow, maybe flush it out to be sure. I do remember something like this happening on that car show "american hot rod". The car was overheating and they diagnosed an air pocket in the coolant passages but I can't remember how they fixed it.