Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Think I will need a chip?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jul 29, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Going back to my 89 Suburban for my daily driver but I want to do a little motor work. Will have, full length headers, stock heads with just a little port work and slightly stronger springs. Smallest camshaft that Comp Cams makes for this purpose, and finally a Holley intake and a 454 throttle body. Think I will need to get a new chip?

2. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

TTT couse I would like to know too.

3. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I had nearly the same combo on my BB. I used a Edelbrock Performer cam and intake. Engine ran great with the stock chip, except that the Oxygen sensor I moved to the collector would cool off at an idle and send the ECM into open loop. The engine ran rich in open loop, but would idle fine. I had also disconnected the AIR pump and EGR. The ECM would throw codes, but wasn't really a problem.

To answer your question, no you shouldn't have to, but I would since it so cheap to have one burned now and you should see more power as a result. Contact PCM For Less , they have a great reputation on the Impala and Camaro Boards. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

MAF? I wouldnt think so, you could always call somewhere like street and performance and ask them.

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

This information seems to be like Voodoo....

6. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

You are referring to a TBI 454 Chevy engine, right?

Did I respond with something that didn't make sense? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I had an 87 454 in my Blazer until about a month ago.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I think he is talking about a 454 Throttle body on a SBC motor so it will flow more air.

I would say yes you will need a new chip for that combo. MAP (which TBI is) is very picky about stuff usually so it probably won't run right.

If you where running a MAF TPI or something that runs MAF then you might be ok but MAP systems are very finiky from what I hear.

Harley

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I dont think you will need a new chip. Just put the 350 injectors in the 454 TB. Also install an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and turn up the pressure so you can feed the better flowing engine a little more fuel.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

doh I knew I was too vauge. Its my 350. I got a new motor today though. A Caprice 9c1(police car)350 with an L98 roller camshaft, think I will need a new chip anyway so screw it. Gonna put a carb intake on it I think, might as well.