Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Think I'm gonna have to replace my hard-drive

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Think I\'m gonna have to replace my hard-drive

My Hard-drive is making noise, thought it was the fan, but took the case off and the noise is coming from the hard-drive. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Oh'well, if I have to replace it, I'm getting the biggest one I can for this computer. Might aswell max it out. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Also will max out the memory while I'm ordering parts. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Re: Think I\'m gonna have to replace my hard-drive

yup. go BIG or go HOME! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm thinking (80Gb 7200rpm EIDE ATA/100 HDD) and a 256mb memory stick will max the memory out on this computer (it maxs out at 516mb. I've currently have 320mb. Only 2 slots on the board. A 256 in slot 1 and a 128 in slot 2. I'll just replace the 128 with a 256.) and I'd like to replace my CD-ROM drive with a DVD-ROM drive. Maybe sometime in the future I'll replace my CD burner with a DVD burner. That should max out this computer for my needs. I have a IBM NetVista 2254-G32 Pentium 3, 1Ghz. I bought it about a year and a half ago. It works for my needs.

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

WAY better than what I have. Here at work mine kicks some serious @ss, but at home I only have a puny little 100mhz pentium that is about 5 years old. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif It pretty much sits there with crap all over it. I use it for word processing and little stuff. It can't handle too much or it just quits. It's kind of got it's own personality that is the only reason I haven't haven't parked the K5 on top of it yet! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif We are in the market for a new one, but we have to move very soon so I am going to wait until we get into another place first. Then I'll go gonzo on a good machine! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    but at home I only have a puny little 100mhz pentium that is about 5 years old.

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess would be it's getting closer to 10 years old /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Intel released the P-100 on March 7, 1994 /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif, believe it or not we still have some P-75 (16MB) PCs floating around here at work. And people are trying to use them with Win98SE and Office 2000, talk about a Slooooow computer.

6. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school

Wow, I thought that it was bad that we still had some AMD K6's still laying around being used in the office.

7. MizBeyatch

MizBeyatch Registered Member

We bought a used Hewlett Packard Pavillion w/ a Pentium II for my youngest (Chaz, he's 5) for about $200, including the monitor. It works great for what he uses it for (software games). I don't know how old it is, do you think we got srewed for $200? /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Well thanks for letting me know how old I REALLY am! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I bought that thing when it was a "screamer". Now, it makes me scream. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I went out and bought a can of air. I'm going to try to blow the hard drive out. I think it's full of dust.

10. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I went out and bought a can of air. I'm going to try to blow the hard drive out. I think it's full of dust.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your hard drive had dust in it chances are it would be dead. Even the smallest particles of dust can ruin one if it does indeed get inside.

We bought a used Hewlett Packard Pavillion w/ a Pentium II for my youngest (Chaz, he's 5) for about $200

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah.. If it does what you need and your happy then you got a good deal. Since it came with a monitor I would imagine thats about the going rate for one right now.

I just sold my old P3-500, 128MB and 13.7GB HDD for $400 /forums/images/icons/wink.gif. I got real lucky on that one.

11. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

You never ever ever ever want to open your HD up /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Unless you have a certified clean room /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I wouldnt even think about it.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I just plan on opening the computer case. I know it's got alot of dust in it. So it's something I think it needs.

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I just sold my old P3-500, 128MB and 13.7GB HDD for $400 . I got real lucky on that one

[/ QUOTE ]

I just sold my K6-433 4.8Gb/192Mb laptop for $550!!

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i biult my computer a couple years ago..i like it

750 mhz athlon slot A type
    256 pc-133 ram
    40 gig 5400 WD HD
    32meg savage 4 graphics card..(cheap)
    10/100 lan
    sound blaster live! 5.1
    samsung burner
    generic cdrom
    logitech 3 peice subwoofer system and all for...
    400 bucks so far! if any one wants a brand new case/power supply or some old ram or whatever i got lots of crap layin around..could always use a little cash tords the k5 you know! heheh

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Took the case apart. No dust. Can't figure this out. Sometimes the hard drive sounds like a starter turning over on a close to dead batt. and other times it doesn't make a sound. I think I'd better get the 80Gb 7200 rpm hard drive and transfer my data befor this one craps out. Think I'm also going to swap out my CD-rom for a DVD-rom.

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That's how they go. Sometimes you have warning, and other times you just turn the system on a the drive is cooked. 99% of modern hard drive failures I've dealt with were without warning. You should do what you can to salvage data off the drive. Run Scandisk with the thorough or surface option as often as possible.

17. NEOMASTINO2U

NEOMASTINO2U 1/2 ton status

is it making a wierd clicking noise? if it is then you need to replace the hard drive and transfer any data asap! the noise you are hearing sounds like the heads in the hard drive are damaged somehow, basically it sounds like your hard drive is going to crap out on you any time! just remember to hold on to the case at all times so you don't shock the system. i have an hd and work on it and others all the time, or you can go to a computer store and get what is called a static strip that you where on your wrist, but if you hang onto the case you should be okay, good luck with the hard drive.
    kelly

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sence I don't know a whole hell of alot about computers, I'm going to have a friend do the work for me. I've got a friend that is the top computer tec for the sheriff's dept in this county. He said he'd do the work for me, I just buy the parts for him. I know I could probley do it myself, but I'd reather have an expert do it. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif He has me turn the wrenches on his car becouse he doesn't know the difference from a carb to a MPEFI system and I do.

19. NEOMASTINO2U

NEOMASTINO2U 1/2 ton status

well you can't beat that! well hope everything gets up and running for ya! good luck! while your at it are you going to upgrade the whole thing? might as well! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    kelly

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm doing what I can aford to. Probley do the hard drive and upgrade the memory. Maybe also replace the CD-Rom with a DVD-Rom. I'll have to wait a few months to replace the CD burner with a DVD burner. I've got to wait till next pay day befor I do anything. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif