Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Think this would be good on a 400cid powered K5 ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [ QUOTE ]
    Chevy Small Block Offenhauser 360 Intake Manifold
    Glassbeaded

[/ QUOTE ]

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yes, Offenhauser rules.

3. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Well, i dunno, kind of high revving. Its a single plane intake. Id say its along the lines of an edelbrock torker 2 which is good for beween 2500 and 6500 rpm. Kinda high to me.

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

no.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Single plane is for high(er) rpms. 400 sbs do not like high rpms unless built for it. It would also need to match other components that work in the same rpm range.

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The question is pretty broad, is that intake good for 400 cu. in.
    Um Yes No Maybe.
    Is that a stock 400?
    It really depends on everything else. You gave no specs.
    What compression, cam, heads, and what rpms you're after either low end grunt or screamin top end.
    Match the intake to the rest of the engine and what you're after.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'll be gathering parts for the build up in the near future. End usage will be mostly trails in the forest (Light rocks, nothing major), mudding, and a daily driver. I personally stay away from anything with the word Edelbrock printed on it. So was hoping this Offy intake would work for me sence I can get it pretty cheap.

8. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Well I think that would work great for the supercharger your putting on it. And it even has the right bolt pattern for the Vortec heads your going to bolt on and .515 cam going into it. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    Could I make one minor suggestion? Be more vague. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I'm going to regret this I know but what is it you have against 'ol uncle Vic?

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm going to regret this I know but what is it you have against 'ol uncle Vic?

[/ QUOTE ] I don't belive the quality controle is what it used to be, and I like to be different. Everybody and thier brother has a Edelbrock intake. I've always gone with the Dart 2 intake manifold on the hot rods, but it's power range is 1500 to 6500 rpm. I didn't notice this one is a single plane. Should have looked better. No parts bought yet, still planning it. I've gotta get my tires and rims bought first and get the 3/4 axles under the K5 befor I start buying motor parts.

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

This may be a dumb question (probably is), but if it's a single plane intake, what is the center divider for? (Splitting left and right banks)?
    Most single plane intakes I have seen Edlebrock, Victor Bowtie, etc. all have a solid opening underneath the carb (great for high RPMS), or is the center divider there to help lower the effective RPM range of the single plane.....sorry just my curios mind at work.

11. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

If you want to be "different" then get a Weiand Action Plus #8000/8004/8024(depending on your heads). Pretty much equal to the Performer but not an Edelbrock. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

For Wieand, I'm still consittering the "Stealth" intake manifold. It's been a long time sence I've seen anyone running a Offenhauser intake manifold. You see Edelbrock's on everything, I kinda want a Offy., but a Wieand is my next choice.

13. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

You guys sure thats a single plane??? What makes you think that?

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    You guys sure thats a single plane??? What makes you think that?

[/ QUOTE ] I thought it was a duel plane, but I'm not a expert on intake manifolds.

15. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

and there is a reason you see edlebrocks on alot of stuff:

good manifolds at good prices.

16. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

Looks like a dual to me also, thats why I was wondering why everyone was saying it wasnt. All the runners look like they are the same hight like a single but maybe thats an illusion??? I aint an expert either, all I know is enough to /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif stuff up /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I really dont think you will notice much if any difference even on a dyno between 2 similar manifolds between 2 different manufacturers. Bt thats just me, go with what ever is cheapest as long as its got nice workmanship and its the basic design you need IMO.

17. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    but if it's a single plane intake, what is the center divider for?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering the same thing. The runners are laid out (from external apperance) in a single plane fashion, yet it has the divider that is the hallmark of the dual plane....

18. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I had a Holley intake a while back that had the center divider. I thought it was a dual plane because of that. However I was told it was a single plain. Most single planes I've seen are wide open like mentioned above.

But someone told me it's not the center divider, it's the layout of the runners. Dual plane runners cross over from, for example, the left side of the carb to the right side of the motor and vice versa. A single plain just has runners that go from the left side of the carb to the left bank of the motor. That's how I understand it now. But that doesn't mean that what I just said is actually true.

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    and there is a reason you see edlebrocks on alot of stuff:

good manifolds at good prices.

[/ QUOTE ] Advertisment and mass distrubutation is no replacement for quality controle. Compare one of thier intake manifolds made 20 years ago to one made today. When I spend my money on a intake, it's going to be either a Offy, Wieand, or a Dart.

20. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    When I spend WAY TOO MUCH OF my money on a intake, it's going to be either a Offy, Wieand, or a Dart.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fixed it for you. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I got a performer on mine and it kicks arse.