Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Think this would cause my vibration?Pic inside

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Steve, Oct 19, 2005.

1. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

I have had a problem with vibrtions and I thought I had it fixed but it started getting worse.I went to change my diff fluid and I noticed this
    [​IMG]
    WOuld this cause a vibration when off the gas or on but not at a steady cruise?How much would this be to fix?I haven't had much experience with rear ends.

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Certainly can't help.

Cost will depend on what you put in. Pinion doesn't need to be re-set, only back-lash, unless the gears are toast which will affect cost too.

3. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well unless you went with an open carrier it will at least cost you a new posi carrier.

4. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

I don't want to spend too much but I do want to put a posi back in.

5. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

i just cracked/broke my g80, close to home thankfully. Drove it about 2 miles home after i hear the two loud pops and it did have some bad vibes on the way back so i say that it could easily cause the vibes.

6. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

I bought it 2 months ago and it has been vibing ever since.I put new yokes on the dinion and the slip,lengthened and balanced the d shaft and now this.I need to fix it so I can sell it.

7. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

When on the gas or off you have forces pushing (either rolling resistance slowing you down, or engine speeding you up), this may flex the case, causing a misalignment or misbalance and ultimately your vibration. At cruise you engine actually works very little to maintain speed, so it would make sense if it became non-existent or less noticeable.

Either way, whatever you did to cause this will easily cause it to finish the job. You had better change it out or you're guarenteed more trouble.

New LSDs are obviously a few hundred bucks. You may be able to pick up a used one for a reasonable price.

8. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

It was broken when I got it.I don't know how they could have broken it like that.It is an Auburn piece.Are they easy to install?I think I'll just have it done as I don't have the time to do it myself.

9. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

I dont think thats an auburn. it looks like an eaton/gov-loc to me but its hard to tell for sure by the picture.

10. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

it kinda looks like a gov loc to me also. a better angle will tell for sure.

11. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

g80 gov bom unit:D

12. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

I can get a better pic.I was told it was an Auburn but when you buy a truck you're not going to take off the diff cover to make sure and he knew that.Oh well,atleast I found it in time before leaving me stranded somewhere.I'm having that fixed and my tranny rebuilt this week.Sorry for the ignorance but,what's a gov loc?

13. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    That is not an Auburn L/S, it is an Eaton Gov-Lock !

14. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

What should I replace it with?I don't do heavy wheeling,just moderate and I live in the snow.Should I replace with another posi,go back to stock or something else?IS the Eaton better or worse than an Auburn?

15. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Attack of the gov-bom strikes again :D

Ira

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Looks like a good excuse too go Detroit Locker to me.

17. CheyenneKid

CheyenneKid Registered Member

A Gov-Lok is a mehanial locker. How it differs from a nventional loker is that instead of being unlocking when differentation is needed, like a detroit, it locks when traction is needed. Great idea, reportadly not the best designed application. I like how they work, and never broken one, but I only run 33s and have a very light foot. they have not the best reputation.

Check out ebay, and expect to pay $150 to $200. A cheaper route would be to intall an open diff, if you're just going to sell it. Be careful which axle shats you have, later model 10 bolts had 31 splines, I think, while the earlier models had 28 splines. Count them so you know to shop for the right one.

I just sold one, a 31 spliner from my old burb, wish i'd known you needed one, I would've given you a break.

if you're looking in junkyards, look in the glovebox for the RPO codes. G80 is the gov-lok code. This willsave you the time to pull a bunh of diff covers.

Good Luk!

Da Kid

18. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

Ok,I just talked toa shop and He said if I want to go with a posi that I could go with an Eaton which is rebuildable for $406,an Auburn for $353,or a Detroit true lock for $393.Which of thos would be best?I am also paying for labor as I don't have the time to do this.It will be about $675 for an Auburn installed.

19. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

I concur, Gov-loc

20. CheyenneKid

CheyenneKid Registered Member

if you're keeping this truck, get an ected.

if not, go cheapest.

Rebuildable Posi is the best of your choices if you have winter weather conditions.

DO NOT buy a mechanical locker (other than a gov-lok) if you live in a place with snow and ice. Spooky does not even begin to descrbe a mechanial locker on ice.