Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Think your rearend is light when you take the top off?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Feb 21, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

You ought to try pulling the top, cutting 12" off the back, dropping the tailgate, alum 20 gal cell. Mine's way too light in the rear. I guess balanced weight is what you want. Anyway, I guess I'm going ahead and hanging the spare tire off the back like I said I'd never do. What can I say? I need some weight. It's plain scary at 30 on a white rock road. We'll see how it does this weekend. If it goes crazy, I may rachet strap the spare on the back somehow....

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I know for my type of wheeling I want more weight in the front, that way when I climb 6 foot tall rock ledges the weight will transfer to the rear anyway. I'ts scarry on a road? Umm, didn't you build this thing for non-roads? [​IMG]

Steve

Director of Global Expansion

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Try taking some leafs out of the back or go to a lower rate spring. Like Steve said, light in the back is good going up, but coming down can be a @#%. [​IMG]

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

been so long since i've been wheeling, i dunno what I need. I may weigh it and let yall know.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I've got '91 k5 rear springs with flipped overloads. May do F150 springs when i get back though.

Sherman, Tx

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I would be interested to see the difference between the front and rear weights. We have vehicle scales at work and checked mine last year with and w/o the top. My '90 is basically stock body wise but does have the much heavier 14FF in the rear (as compared to the 10-bolt).

With top on and all of my off-road gears (hi-lift, tools, spare fluids and parts) and a full tank of fuel, the back wheels had 130 lbs. more weight on them than the front.

Taking the top off took a total of 200 lbs. off the vehicle, but actually took 210 lbs. off the back wheels and put the extra 10 lbs. on the front. This is probably because the rear end raised up an inch or two and thus transfers the weight to the front. With this, the rear wheel weight is 100 lbs. less than the front.....still pretty well balanced.

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

So then why are my front springs so stinkin' stiff? I can rock the back up and down by hand with the bumper, but I can hardly get the front to move by standing on it. I think these lift kit companies are just big on spring rate and not on arch. Maybe it saves them money by using the same spring material for various lift heights and just vary the arch. I think even the lighest front lift springs are stiffer than the factory rears. Just look at how light those two leaf stock front springs are.

<font color=green>Top signs you don't have a real 4x4:
    4) Twin Traction Beam
    3) Made by D.C.
    2) 5 lug nuts
    1) Unibody</font color=green>

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I get pretty good flex out of my tuff country fronts...240 lbs/inch.

Sherman, Tx

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Perhaps there's a big, honkin' heavy duty rear bumper in your future. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

11. txguy

txguy 1/2 ton status

Ford F150 springs? They are a bolt on fit?

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

harry, my bumper's about 25 pounds. built strong and light. maybe too light.

The f150 springs are 4" longer than stock. Yeah bolt on if you buy marv springer's kit. Otherwise you'd have to fab something up.

Sherman, Tx

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

25 lbs? My trailer hitch weighs more than that! [​IMG] I'm talking about a serious bumper that will put some weight back out behind the rear wheels. That should help hold the rear end to the road. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

lol...nah. I really like mine:

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/photo/30658873/30659957pBnNnIXawb>http://community.webshots.com/photo/30658873/30659957pBnNnIXawb</a>

But I'll probably end up hanging the tire on there. That'll add 150# probably and have me set up about right. Plus the cell is empty, and the tailgate is not fabbed yet..hmmm..

Sherman, Tx

15. txguy

txguy 1/2 ton status

Other than a softer ride, what is the benefit of the F150 springs?

16. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

FLEX.

most guys put them on a flex pin, so you get a ton of droop kind of like a revolver.

do a search. here's one i found for ya.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=312466&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1>http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=312466&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1</a>

Sherman, Tx

17. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Well, you've got to all that work.. why not move the motor to the back seat! We did that on a Corvair with a 327 patched into the back (front) side of the stock transaxle... man what a fun indy car! I like your bob by the way, makes the bumper work perfect!

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/borregok5> Pictures</a>

18. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Just a small thing but, short Chevy springs are 52" (Blazers) and longs are 56". The F150s are 57" and the locating hole is 1" further forward (closer to the front eye) than the GMs. So, the F150 springs are 5" longer than the stock K5 springs.

I'm right in the middle of putting a modified Springer setup on my K30 that came with 56" springs.

First stage is to get the Springer setup on using the modified 56" GM springs and the axle in the stock location. I am moving the rear hangers 6.5" forward and to compensate for the 56" springs as opposed to the 57" springs it was designed for. This will give me a roughly 15 degree angle back on the shackle (bottom of shackle behind top). I'm also locating the swing arm bump stop .5" higher than normal to work better with the angled shackle.

Stage 2 will have the whole axle and suspension moving forward roughly 22". Then I'll be switching to F150 springs turned backwards so that the axle will be 1" closer to the back of the springs resulting in better departure angles. The much longer (5") section of soft spring on the front combined with the Springer movement in the back should make for insane rear flex, probably requiring limiting straps to keep from beating the springs to death.

After that, I'll start on the front...

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

19. txguy

txguy 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys

20. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Thanks man!!

Back seat is outta the question, although with a nice transaxle there I could have a killer buggy. Whole reason I wanted a k5 in the first place was to haul up to 5 people/dogs/stuff. Pickup would have been so much easier!!!

Actually the more I think about it, the more I like the tire off the back idea. I thought I'd hate it, but maybe it'll work for the best. It'll sure take the worries out on popping a tire off way down some trail somewhere.

Sherman, Tx