Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinkin' about getting a 97-99 Tahoe any opinions...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chevyfumes, Feb 6, 2002.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Thinkin\' about getting a 97-99 Tahoe any opinions...

You guy's got any thoughts on what to look out for, how many miles it should have,what kinds of lifts ar avaliable etc. so bring it on. I just want to get outta this stupid lease my WIFE has on a stupid CYRAPLER , man I hate that thing...

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Re: Thinkin\' about getting a 97-99 Tahoe any opinions...

figure 15k miles a year
    EVERYONE has lift for these now- rancho has a 4" procomp has a 4"- just about everyone

97 tahoe up here in vermont, your looking close to 20-21k 99, your looking 28-29k up here. Not sure what the price is where you are....99 is the new body style- if you like the old, stay away from the 99
    thats about it
    Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The electrical systems in the newer trucks/suvs are causing bad reviews. Too tricky and cute for their own good IMO.

They have everything I want out of a vehicle except reliability - and that is pretty much the most critical piece when you get down to it. And the 327s suck. What was the last year of the 350 LS1 iron block?

DO NOT get something without an extended warranty.

Sorry for the anti-Chevy sentiments but my patience is about gone for the newer vehicles.

Dave

Rehab is for quitters.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics</a>

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Thats what I'm lookin' for keep em' coming...

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

well- we currently have a 2001 2500 HD D/A.. my brother in law has a 2001 2500HD with the 8.1/a, we had a 99 Z-71, sister in law has a 99 Tahoe- and Father in Law has a 98 2500 Extended cab- I had a 94 Suburban..
    of the above listed vehicles, NOTHING more than regular repairs brakes, LOF"s, etc.. have been done.
    the 99 and our D/A is mostly highway miles- the 99 HAD 89,000 when we traded it October 30, 2001, and got the D/A... our D/A now at 3 months old has 12,500 miles, and no problems.
    the 8.1 is used VERY hard- sled trailers- and he plows with it.
    father in laws 98 has somewhere near 90,000 miles, highway, tow with the sled trailers, loaded with 5 sleds, or 5 quads depending on the season.
    the tahoe is a grocery getter, and family rig with 45,000 on it.
    our suburban had 98,000 when we got rid of her...

you CAN find a reliable, no problem 97-99 rig out there is my point. Regardless of miles, if they were taken care of , it can last you many a moons...

All those rigs and not one computer/electrical problem...?
    OH wait- I just remembered, our SES light kept coming on in the 99- but it was our own fault- we were tripping it, when filling up with gas, we left the truck running- once we figured it out, it never came back on...

hope this helps
    Brandy

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Go to the Tech Service Bulletin sites and check out the Tahoes............<font color=blue> ONE TON</font color=blue> <font color=green>TPI'd</font color=green><font color=red> BEAST<font color=red>[/b]

7. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am in the market for something. My research is showing that the used vehicles are only marginally cheaper than the new. New cars and trucks are 'reasonable' now and the older vehicles that people are trying to sell now are upside down on their value/what they owe I am thinking.

Do a search on autotrader.com and then price a new one at carsdirect.com. For the 2000 - 2002 models the difference is
    very small. I did not check on the 97 - 99 tho.

My cousins 2002 Duramax is a lemon or a POS.

Dave

Rehab is for quitters.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics</a>

8. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Im not sure where you are from- but a new let just say 2002 Chevy truck- lets say like a 1500 z-71 is pretty close to 28K... but for instance you can get a 99 for about 19K... to me 9 K is pretty decent cut for 3 years old... I think your going to find that tahoes, suburbans, and for the most part trucks in general are going to be holding there value a bit more than a "car"...

Dave- send your brother to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.thedieselpage.com>www.thedieselpage.com</a> he can find EVERYTHING he needs to know as to whats wrong with is D/A over there.. there are a few General Motor's big wigs, along with some Duramax guys, and a few that work for Allison... hope they can help.. I do know that some have ended up with more problems with the D/A, than we have had with the 19 BIG trucks we have now combined... good luck

Brandy

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Thanks Frank, and everyone else, I would buy new if I liked the body style but I think they look too much like a Dodg3 and I don't like that look, Brandy, you mentioned they changed body style in 99 and maybe I wasn't looking close enough but I thought it was in 2000, the only thing I can think is that they did a real slow change in apearance from 99 to 2002. Thanks guy's... Keep em' coming...

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

OK that site was confusing (not enough pics I guess)[​IMG], so do they have a Z71 package for the tahoes and what exactly do you get with that ....* fumes still confused beyond belief*[​IMG]

11. lifted95z71

lifted95z71 1/2 ton status

just like in 88-92 the pick up changed first in 99. the tahoe didnt change til the 2001model year.

he who bash other 4x4, look silly when being pulled out by it.