Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinkin about getting a new K&N

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by George_Pimpdaddy, Mar 18, 2007.

1. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

So i have a regular round k&n on my 89 tbi blazer now and need to replace it after over 2 years of good service and have seen the FIPK kits for newer tbi's and wonder if it could be used on my 89 k5. Heres the listing for the package im talkin about http://knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=57-3026 just looked up 95 suburban 5.7.
    Anyways i was thinkin this setup might be better than what im running now and also help clean up the look. thanks for any input guys :wink1:

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Waste of money. Your stock CAI setup with a K&N already flows more air than your TBI truck needs.
    Why do you need to replace your K&N that you have? Just clean it.

3. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I tried a FIPK on my 96 7.4....wasn't impressed for the 30hp claimed. I returned it. I got an Airhog element for my 95 5.7, removed the vacuum door and the heat riser, then ran a piece of aluminum expandable ductwork to the fender opening, and it was enough to feel it in the pedal.

4. George_Pimpdaddy

its getting a little damaged from wear and tear its over 2 years old and i dont have the cai tube any more either so im jsut running with the flipped lid

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]

I tried this in the Burb once, drove it around the block, and said SCREW THIS, i hooked the CAI RIGHT the frack back up. Too much hot air for it, especially here in Arizona,,,nasty

Sure you get an interesting sound from it, but wow did it NOT like that setup, lost power bigtime.

6. 70GMC

70GMC Registered Member

don't k&n filters carry a million mile warranty?

7. rolereversal

rolereversal 1/2 ton status

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Well you need to get cold air to your throttle body. TBI dosn't like hot under hood air and you acually loose power runing a open element air filter. So either go with the aftermarket CAI if you can find one. Or Get the stock CAI and aircleaner housing. from a junkyard.
    I dont know who makes a CAI kit for a Blazer. I dont think the one you show from K&N will fit a Blazer. If you look at the vehicle applications they dont list Blazer and dont list Suburban untill 1992, when they made the change form SFA to IFS. Dont get one for a K Truck they have totally diferent CA intake system that hooks up to a hole in the fender well. Blazers CAI run up to the front into an air box

9. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

did you send in your warranty form that came with the filter? i forgot to. you konw how it is. set something aside and don't find it again for 3 years or something. but now, i really wish i'd sent it in. my filter shrank and won't fit properly under the lid. my friend had the same issue with a k&n and something else (don't remember what). similar construction. still works, it's just goofy.

10. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

goto the junkyard and offer 4 or 5 bucks for the cold air intake hose+ core support attachment part.. Might want to think about taking the airbox too if it isnt like your current one.

11. George_Pimpdaddy

i used to have the hose part but the hedder ate it lol so looks like ill just get the hose again