Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinkin' bout buying a burb...need help..

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by shane74, May 3, 2002.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Thinkin\' bout buying a burb...need help..

Are there any years to shy away from? I am a die hard bow tie fan so it's not a question of will I buy a burb or not, it's a matter of when and which one. I personally would like an older straight axel (IFS sucks off road), but the wiff wants a 98 or newer. Are there any specific things to watch out for? I have no experience with 'burbans so I need the experts to tell me. This will be more of a DD than an off road rig. I have my blazer for that. But still, a 4" lift and 35's would be mandatory.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif!!

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Re: Thinkin\' bout buying a burb...need help..

if the wife want's newer get a 91, last year of the straight axle. the 90-91s have the electric trannies not vacuum my 89 has a 350 / th-400 / np241 / 8-lug 10 bolt / 8-lug 14bSF. the 89 to 91s look the best (IMO) check out my webshots page or my members page to see mine.

3. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

One word on the older burbs RUST
    Don't know how the IFS bodies hold up. I haven't seen an 91 or older for sale in PA that doesn't have the tailgate hinge mounts (tailpan?), inner rear wheel well seam and inside the front fenders rotted.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

If it's a daily driver and for the wife I'd be looking for a 92 and newer, IFS has way better road manners and the interiors are more plush. And a 4" lift would clear 35's( all in the rims)
    Can't beat fuel injection and overdrive.
    besides if you really have to a straight axle can be put in,LMAO/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. Heavymetal

Heavymetal 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What Jeremy said. Except that I would go for the 95 and newer years. The dash and upolstery is much nicer then the 92 -94 years.

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

if you go 95, might as well go 96 and get the vortec too.LOL

7. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

if you're going to go 96, you may as well go for a 99, and make it a 8100 vortec.... lol /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

seriously tho, depending on where you live, and what your boss (wife) says should answer your question for you... if your wife is going to be driving it for the most part, then you'd do better with a newer model. if you're going to be driving it, then an older strait axle would be better... if you don't live in the rust belt, or somewhere they use road salts at, then an older one with newer retrofitting might be the way to go... I liove in AZ where the word cold means less then 70 outside, and own 3 suburbans older then 77.... the 77 hass ome rust cause it originaly lived in the rust belt, and by the seaside, but the 73's I own are both mostly rust free, and in decent shape ( except that the one is my 4x4 ugly beater, and the other 73 is my parts truck, and the place I've been storing my spare 454 at) of course, while you're going for older strait axle, you may as well add style to it with a 1960 or 1961 suburban with the wrap around windshield, and wierd looking `eyebrow' hood. only problem of course, is these things only have 2 doors on them... if you're going to get stuck with 2 doors, you may as well take it back a step, and get a 58 or 59 suburban, with the older style hood, and dual headlights...

-Rich

8. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

You can buy mine. Its an 87 with 60,000 miles on it. 350, 700r4, 208, 10 bolts. 4" lift and 35" MTRs. I put in a new GM certa tranny with a 3yr/50,000 mile warranty. Interior is like new, no rust on the truck. All it need is the front clip painted. 6500 obo in AZ.

Dan

9. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

DAN,

Your selling the burb too? (wipe tear) What are you gonna tow the boat with?

tom

10. tomseviltwin

Dreaming,

If I could afford it, I'ld get a 96 or newer 3/4 ton with a Vortech 454, overdrive, factory locker, AC everywhere. Then a lift and 35's.

11. DesertDueler

Tom, I am going to a crew cab long bed, maybe a dually.

Dan

12. holyjohnson

holyjohnson Registered Member

just my 2 cents but.
    350 f.i.,o.d. tranny,4x4
    id go with an 87-90 parts are fairly easy to find.rust is usually not too bad (depending on where you live) pretty easy to find.prices are reasonable and can be pretty easily upgraded.
    try to avoid 700r-4 trannys and go with the elec o.d.
    towing pack gets you bigger rear brakes for bigger tires if your going that way.easy swap for front axle.lots of power options for these years,interior is a lot nicer then 70s,80s and bigger then 93 and up.for about a quarter of the price.
    ive seen some pretty nice conversions for reasonable prices.
    from $3000-$6000 here.
    look for rust in the normal areas,tailpan,rear quarters,rockers,door bottoms,and bed (inside and out)
    and always on gms frame where steering box bolts,and rear main seal.
    goodluck

13. tomseviltwin

Cool,

I love those k30 crewcabs.

Tom

14. DesertDueler

I do to, and I need the extra room of the 8 foot bed. Now I just need to find somebody to buy my burb.

Dan

15. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Ditto the 91 if you can get permission from the boss. I would try to find a nice V2500 - better running gear all around. I don't know about the 89 or 90 models, but I do know that my 91 when new was substantially tighter and smoother than my dad's 88, which he bought new.
    JB

16. Heavymetal

Heavymetal 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you are dead set on a solid axle, get the 91. Look for one with the 4L80E in it.

17. KShortell

KShortell Registered Member

I'd go with everyone else on this one- stick with the mid-80s on up. From about '84+, the sheetmetal got a lot better. GM had to make 'em better- the Army was buying Chevy trucks and having problems- rust, Blazer roofs leaking on guys heads, etc. GM got tired of Uncle Sam sending them back to the factory! So, the quality improved a lot. I still love my '86. She was in the salt for 12 years until I retired her from running in the salt. Ziebart saved her and I've had to do very little rust repair.

BTW, '86 was the last year for carbs, EFI after that...