Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinkin out loud...need some ideas/oppinions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, Apr 3, 2005.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Ok, so I'm thinking of mods to do to my truck this summer that'll make it more offroad worthy. Its stock height right now with 33" geolander ATs. I'm swapping in 3/4 ton drivetrain and 4" lift from the guy that sold me the tires. I'll also be going to 4.10 (in the 3/4ton stuff) so that'll bring my power back up a bit.
    So I got to thinkin that whenver I go to climb something or come off a bit of a ledge, its always my bumper dragging. So I could move my bumper up but then my gas tank would drank and thats *really* not good.
    So what I wanted to do was put a false floor in the back of the truck and that way I could bring the gastank up level with the bottom of the frame rails and skid plate it. But then I was thinkin what if I put a 3" body lift on, then I might not even have to cut into the floor. The problem is, what would 33's look like on 7" of lift? Any other cheap solutions?
    The only other thing I could think of would be to make a custom tank that was shallower but smaller tanks are always bad.... I'm listening so give me your 2 cents.

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I've never been a fan of body lifts. I have heard a pretty good argument in favor them, but I'm not willing to go there on one of my own. The good argument in favor is the a BL moves only the light stuff up and keeps the heavy stuff down where it helps keep the CG low.

I like the 'false floor' idea. I would look into a replacement bed floor and weld it in. Might look at moving the inner fenders up with it.

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

What makes everyone dislike bodylifts so much? Just wondering since I have no experience to tell me either way. I mean assuming you use quality components so you're not in danger of ripping the body off the frame when you roll.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

More leverage on the body mounts...I've seen em torn off when flexed out.

Rene

5. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, well that clarifies the hate of body lifts......Any other thoughts on the moving of the gas tank.

Oh yeah, I was thinking, also, if I got a 3" body lift, the filler line wouldn't be affected so badly either.

6. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

I also hate body lifts and would run one. as far as your gas tank. you can eater move it up or get a fuel cell and mount it in the back. why are you wanting to go up more than 4 inchs? you can run all the way up to 38s with a little trimming and keep your cog low that way.

7. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

i run a body lift and havent had any problems yet. ive flexed out several times and i like to drive fast over rough terrain.

the only thing i dont like is the center of gravity thrown off 3inches but that is it. it makes everything underneath easyer to acess and now i can replace my spark plugs without even popping the hood.

oh and 7inches of lift on 33s will look bad IMO

it will make the tires look like they are the steet set and you have some 38s back at home for the trail.

my 36s have ALOT of room now that im up on 7inches.

8. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

The only reason I would go up that high would be so that the floor of the blazer would be 3" high relative to the frame rails and then maybe I wouldn't have to cut the floor out. A fuel cell would be nice but it all depends on what kinda of pay I make this summer cause I have to save a set amount for university. My parents are paying alot of it but I still have at least some responsiblity for it.