Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking about a 6.2L Suburban vs. Dodge Cummins Input Please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Barton, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Barton

Barton Newbie

Hey all,
    I am looking to purchase a 92-98 work vehicle for work and some towing (four up horse trailer.) I hear the Dodge Cummins and Ford have great engines. However, I love Suburbans and just found a 6.5L C2500 w/ 174K miles, for $7875.

How is the GM diesel towing power, maintenance, and durability vs. a Cummins or Ford version?

How has been your success with a conversion of the 6.5 to vegetable oil?

Thanks,
    Barton

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

If you're buying for the engine, go with the Cummins. If you're buying for the vehicle, then maybe the Sub.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The Cummins motor will be better then the 6.5L motor. The Ford Powerstroke Motor will too. I would buy the Cummins if you need to tow something heavy.

Harley

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I would buy the PwrSmoker (no 6.0?) if you're going to tow something heavy & often, and the Cummins if you going to tow occasionally and put a lot of miles on the vehicle.

5. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

You're kidding right?

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The V8 Diesels act a lot closer to the way gassers act than the I6 Cummins engines. That said, they all have obscene amounts of power now, so I went with the Cummins.

I would not own a Chevy Diesel of yesteryear, or even any IDI Diesel for that matter.

7. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

You are referring to the original poster, not me, correct? I think you know my stance on the 6.2. I like the engine, but the only reason I own them is cause that is what GM used. Someday soon the crew cab will be repowered with an I6 medium duty engine.

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Veggin here. Works great. Doesnt particularly work as well in the super cold climates, but anything above 40 has bee fine. I put on almost 10 thousand miles on this year with veggie. The IDI motors by most experts is the preferred way to burn alternative fuels, as their engines are built with lower tolerances, and the IDI helps heat up the fuel more.

That is one of my primary reasons for getting the 6.2/6.5 platform- It is not the strongest, but it definately isnt a slouch either in the reliability department. Also it is pretty much a veggie proven platform. For me, the trade off was worth it- being able to drive 600-800 miles (30-40 gallons aux tank) for free, vs 60-80 dollars for diesel( 2 dollars a gallon, its 2.39 here in ny)... if you tow/haul a camper around, i can still get about 300-500 miles. Just pay for tolls, and your on your way. When you run out of veggie, just switch over to the regular diesel tank, and keep on going. If you like to get away for the weekends, and you do it a lot in the summer, it can easily add up to several hundred dollars a month. maybe several thousand in a year. And with fuel prices going up.... (Analyst believe fuel prices may hit 3 dollars this summer), you do the math!

the later electronic 6.5's are also convertable to veggie, but require a little different fuel routing. Also, do consider where you are going to put the auxiary fuel tank. Burbs i think had the stock underbody tank in the rear behind the hitch area.

there are guys who run their cummins and PSD's on veggie, but I am not that familiar with it. Same basic principle, but i've not bothered to read up too much on it. AGain, IDI is the "preferred" method.

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The cummins dodge comes with a D70/D60 combo in 3/4 ton auto rigs and a D80/D60 combo in manual trigs.
    The cummins dodge will out pull, out tow, and out live that burb and basically any other diesel pickup out there. Go with a 3/4 ton 4x4 dodge cummins from 1994 to current and you will be happy as a clam....

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

No, I am not.

11. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Just curious, but why '94? I know that was the first year for the new body style. But was the cummins upgraded over the older version?
    I kinda like the older style more, and I'd rather have a "real" dana 60 up front, not one of the crappy ones in the newer body style.
    But is the engine changed that much?

12. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

I believe they are easier to tune via electronically post 94....

13. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

No. They did not get electronics until '98.5 when the 24 valve came out. The p-pump was put on them with the new body style which flows obscene ammounts of fuel and is the pump of choise when it comes to bombing them, which is why people want these motors, they dont have to swap IP's when they want serious power.

For the orriginal poster, just buy whatever you like best, it all boils down to personal preference anyway. If it were me, id buy the W-series dodge, but thats just me.

14. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Dodge auto's have a pretty bad rep. I cant substantiate it, but...Well, you can read other forums for that.

In addition, if you want to have 4 real doors, or carry a lot of people... You dont have many choices out there, other than a burb or a Excursion (for diesel).

And excursions aint cheap.

15. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

from what I've dealt with, it's not the trannys burning up, it's the converters. And I know a few people with Dodge Diesels...

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Look at the new Dodge again. The back seat is big enough for me. I wanted an extended cab Ford but the 6.0 turned me off, and the Dodge is the perfect size if you ask me.

Excursions are discontinued and all are autos. Auto+Diesel=Very bad.

Tyler,

I know your stance on GM Diesels. If I knew what you do, I'd buy a nice BBC crewcab with a 4 speed and swap in a 12v Cummins, but for now, my shiny new Ram is going to have to do. :grin:

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You don't know what you're talking about, quite obviously.

18. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Yep, yer right I know nothing about nothing. Tim ,yer bedside manner is decidely lacking. Perhaps you'd be better off over on POoR?

It is exceedingly rare to to see a Cummins pulling any desert race vehicle anywhere. There are 7.3 PSD's all over the place. That tells me something. I do not know about the 6.0's, which is why I noted it with a ? mark.
    On the other hand, the Cummins has long been noted for it's better mileage. So, I stand by my remarks.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My new Cummins has 325 HP and 610 ft lbs of torque. If there is an issue with my new truck out pulling any stock PSD powered Ford, it'd have to defy the laws of physics.

That said....both are good trucks (7.3 and Cummins) but to say that the Cummins is not made to pull is ignorant and uninformed. The DT444E really isn't even in the same class as the Cummins. Its bigger brother, the DT466E, is, but they don't put that one in pickups (too bad). :cool1:

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my buddy has a 6.0 F350 dually. He blew his turbo out within something like 10-20K miles. just noting. His 7.3 before that was a piece of junk, but he beats the crap out of everything he drives. If I were buying a used diesel, it would be a mid 90s Cummins equipped with NV4500. New, it wouldn't be a Ford. Haven't read this full thread but yeah thats my input. DIdn't read but if anyone wnats to compare a 6.2 to a Cummins TD, you need to stop drinking and realize there is no comparo, haha.

94-98.5 Cummins 12V motors are better than the 93-previous ones. 94-98.5s are capable of producing more power. The earlier ones need a new fuel pump over a certain power(I forget what) and the aftermarket pumps are lacking as far as power production.