Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

thinking about a diesel...

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by alec78, Jan 29, 2003.

1. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

I am looking at parting ways with my K20 and getting a Blazer with a 6.2. I found an 83 with 170K miles for $1300. What is the life span of a diesel? What should I be looking for? I have to convince(sp) my wife this is a good idea! I don't tow or carry heavy loads. No more than camping/hunting gear. What about elevation? I live around Denver and like the mountains. I also would like to be able to drive from Denver to Kansas City.

Thanks in advance!

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If you want many responses now, do a search but basically, if it's been maintained corectly with regular oil and filter changes, it should go beyond 300

3. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I live around Denver and like the mountains. I also would like to be able to drive from Denver to Kansas City.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Mine has 215,000 on it and runs great, it is slow on large mountain roads. But not where your cusing up a storm. Denver to Kansas should be just like your k20 only better fuel economy.

4. Crunk_K5_1984

Crunk_K5_1984 Registered Member

Diesels love air, and at high altitudes, I don't know if a diesel would be the best. Other than that, a 6.2 should be able to do anything you chunk at it.

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif 6.2/379/th400/33x12.50x15

REAL TRUCKS DON'T HAVE SPARK PLUGS!!!!

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

That is true, but there are ways around that: TURBO /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

The owner of that one sold it out after I said I would buy it! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Oh well. He did mention something I have never heard of before, a fuel tank heater... Do they really exist? If so, how much and where do I get one?

Can you tell I am kinda green when it comes to diesels, but I want one. After all how else do I learn about them!

I found another diesel that looks great! Hope to get it this weekend!!!

7. Suburbanite

Suburbanite Registered Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    ...[snip]... a fuel tank heater...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there is such a thing ... sounds way to impractical. Do know of combo auxiliary fuel filter/water separator with heater capability. Racor, for one, makes them. And, I think some vehicles come stock with heat capable fuel filter housings (newer VW's?).

8. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I believe the GM "box" style filters have a heater in them. Either mine is broke, or they're not that effective. 'Got a load of non-winterized diesel a week ago and gelled up good /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Damn it was cold that morning! I think it gelled at both the fuel sock (in tank) and at the filter. Changed the filter and went about 50 miles then gelled again. Chugged/towed my way another mile to a heated garage /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

DD: Were you running any kind of additive in the fuel?

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

How cold was it?
    I just run additives in my tank, and I never have problems even when I got stuck in the snow, highcentered in snow for the whole night and at 2am it started and ran fine.
    I think the additives are essential and do their job, it even runs better with higher Cetane rating.
    And it smokes less.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

My fuel gelled on me last winter when it was about 10 degrees F. I simply had forgotten to put any additives in the tank the last time I filled up. You're right, pouring in the proper additives keeps the fuel flowing at almost any temperature.

Casey