Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking about a Diesel...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by HD, Jan 31, 2004.

1. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

I'm going to look at a '83 Diesel today and I was wondering what I should look for in the engine. I have never owned a diesel before, so I don't know what bad signs to look for, any help?

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Watch to see if it starts up fast when its cold or if it takes forever worht of cranking to get it to fire, that would show the condition of the glow plugs. Watch to see if it smokes a lot, might smoke some when it's cold for a minute or so but should clear up. Look for oil leaks, coolant leaks, fuel leaks, etc...check the oil and feel it to see if it has been changed lately or if it is overly dirty. Just use your head when looking at it and don't ignore possible problems or cloud them over because you may wan't it, thats the best advise I can give you. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Without being able to do a compression test, etc..., I would make sure that the motor is cold before you try to start it. If you show up and the motor is already warm, I would be suspicious that it may have glow plug system problems. Make sure there's no signs of diesel leakage from the pump area or from around the injectors.

ALso make sure that the starter turns over nice and fast. A diesel needs a strong fast starter- if the engine turns over slowly it may mean that the starter is on the way out and trust me when I tell you that a good 6.2 starter is not cheap.

If it hasn't been warmed up before you show up, and it fires right up, chances are there's no problems with the GP system. The exhaust might blow a little grey smoke at startup, which will disappear as the motor warms up. If the truck is still equipped with the factory GP controller, make sure that you can hear the GP relay "clicking" under the hood during the first minute after starting the truck. It is normal for the GPs to cycle for a minute or so as the engine warms up.

If you want to know if the owner has been keeping up with his maintenance, pop off the air filter cover and check the filter. It should be relatively clean. A dirty air filter might be an indication that he isn't too religious with his maintenance.

If it has AC or cruise, make sure that you are able to switch between floor/vent/heat and that the cruise is functional. If none of these work then chances are the vacuum pump is shot. It's a relatively cheap and easy fix, but he might not know that....;)

Other than that, driveability issues are pretty much the same as a gasser.

Hope that helps, brother!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

Thanks that helps a lot /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I am going to look at it in about an hour. The price is good, the only thing that sucks is the 10bolt in the front and not a Dana 44. I think that I am going to swap the axles from my '75 (Dana 44 flat top knucles and 12 bolt posi) and put under the '83 until I can get 1 ton axles. Does anyone know if this swap is easy or not? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Why would you wan't to swap out a 10b for a d44? Thats like trading an orange for a different orange. There is basically no benifet of having a D44 over a 10B besides the nodular iron housing and the flat top nuckles. Also you will need different front brake lines and then when you go 1 ton you will need those old 10B brake lines back because a 10b and d60 use the same size fitting unlike a d44.

6. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

Well, I like it! I'm going to get it in two weeks when my taxes come back (the guy said that he would wait). Thanks for all of your help. rjfguitar your right about the front axle and I will take your advice. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif