Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking about a Dodge Pickup

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jun 27, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm selling the 92 Chevy, and have decided to just take out a loan and get a better vehicle instead of fooling around with $1000 trucks that need $2000 parts/work to do what I want.

I'm thinking about the mid-90's Dodge half tons. Anybody have any thoughts or warnings on them? Things to look out for?

I was considering Fords, but I've heard their built cheap, stupid stuff like the plastic interior parts fall off or break easy. The dodge's look like they would break or fall apart easy, but I haven't seen or heard that about them.
    Chevy's, I just can't find any decent ones in my $4000+- price area. The Dodge's are hard to find around that price, too, but there are more of them in my initial online searching.

So... Any thoughts on mid 90's Dodge pickups?

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Id avoid them if you are looking for a reliable truck. We had enough of dodges after our last 3/4 ton van ate 2 tranny's, a rear end, an AC system, 2 sets of brakes, and it seemed to have a real dislike for windshields. The 360 always ran good, though. But that slushbox was garbage. We traded it on a new Tundra, that towed and stopped better than the 3/4 ton dodge, and got better fuel economy to boot. The van only had 80K miles and it was going to cost twice what it was worth to get it back to a reliable tow rig when we got rid of it. I found it pretty sad that our 1/2 ton truck that replaced it towed so much better than that van. Ill never own another dodge until the 2K3's come down in price so i can afford one.

Id look for an early 90's F150 with the 300 I-6 and a 4-speed, the 5 speeds are mazda built and weak. Nearly bulletproof drivetrain, and gets good fuel economy to boot. We had one at my last job that towed the enclosed trailer better than the 1999 F150 with a 4.6L V-8, though the granny 1st gear helped a lot. It had nearly 190K miles on it and one doorlock didnt work, that was all that went wrong with it. We actually kept it arround the shop because my boss was only going to get $350 on trade in, and it ran, drove and towed way to good to get rid of it for that cheap. It was one ugly truck, though, but it sure towed that trailer well. Plus it was the kind of truck that i could run to the hardware store and put 2400 pounds of concrete in the bed, or pick up 30 sheets of 1/2" plywood in and not worry about the truck being damaged. The interiors are a lot of plastic, but it holds up well.

3. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

my buddy has a 94 Dodge Ram, hasnt had to do anything to it other then normal stuff and it has close to 200k.

my father in law has a 95 Dodge Dakota, 180k miles, only thing major was his radio went out and he cracked the front diff housing when he hit a rock.

mother in law has a 2nd generation (unsure of year) Dakota and the only problem with hers was the AC went out.

i have a 99 Dodge Ram and the major thing to it was when i snapped the crank snout, but it was covered under warranty, so no biggie there.

guy at work has a 99 Dodge Ram as well, he just had issues with paint.

to say one truck brand is junk over another is sorta ignorant.
    everyone puts out junk everynow and then. (the chevy c/K series sorta proves that with their body design and rust, but we all still love those)

ive hauled 30 bundles of shingles home with my Ram no problem on several occasions for family members.

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

my friend tim had a 2000 off road.i thought it was a pretty tight truck. it was a short bed and sat pretty high from the factory.he on the other hand complained about the way it rode????he's on of those guys that wants a truck to ride like a caddy.he had the rear gears replaced in 2004,i think cuz the shop just opened up it was a little shady,BUT...... :)

5. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i just remembered , a customer of mine has a 93 3/4 and has only changed some sheet metal.and he beats that truck. :laugh:

6. google

google 1/2 ton status

My step dad owns a 96 dodge ram 2wd. He has about 4000 lbs of tools in the back of the thing and they have been there for 10 years almost. He hasn't had any major problems except a computer malfunction last year. Other than that, it hasn't had any problems.

I had a 2000 dodge ram that I treated like a bag of crap. I ran that thing like a hotrod over trees and rocks. Went wheeling at least once a week in the mountains of colorado. Other than the plastic bumper (sport model) tearing apart on every rock i ran over and tree I pushed down, I had ZERO problems. That thing was a freaking rock. I loved it. On the other hand, every month I put near $400 bucks into payment and it was worth less and less.... at least now my money is going somewhere =)

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Hey now, I like the C/K body design;) :crazy:

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

all trucks can be good--or suck!

We had several dodge trucks in our fleet of delivery vehicles at the auto parts stores I worked at..they were pretty reliable and tough--but I'm talking about the older ones with a slant six and the Torqueflight automatic trannys,or manual 4 spd overdrive(my favorite one to drive!)....the newer ones in the 90's I've seen mostly up on the lift at my friends shop,getting new ball joints,or used tranny's installed--I guess the dodge 4x4's and Durango's had early ball joint failures-,and lots of automatic tranny failures..

-I saw many with only 30,000 miles that had ball joints actually separate,and the truck had to be towed in!...and many of the automatic overdrive trannys were troublesome from day 1 in some of the trucks my friends who are roofing contractors bought new...and dodge did not replace them under warranty,they just kept fixing them,until it was out of warrantee..kept blaming the computer--maybe it was the computer--but the tranny's self destructed while the shifting module was acting goofy,and was recalled and "re-calibrated"....

My dad was a "Mopar" man,always liked Chrysler products,and bought quite a few..his 1993 Caravan is still going strong,despite the paint peeling off the roof,and rust holes have appeared in all the doors--but the V6 3.0 has 63,000 miles and has NEVER been tuned up once!--no gas filter,etc..everything but the altenator belt is original!--only all the brakes have been replaced,and some rusty steel brake lines!....I would buy a Dodge,but it would be an early one--I see too many problems with the newer ones at low mileage...unless your talking about a Cummins equipped one--THAT would be the Dodge I'd be most interested in owning!... :laugh:

9. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I do know a couple people who have had good luck with Dodges, 4 to be exact. Everybody else i know, their dodge trucks and vans from the mid 90's have been garbage. They especially have problems with ball joints, wheel bearings, brakes, and tranny's, especially when they work them hard. Our van was junk by 80K miles, as was the one before that. We tried to atribute it (the first one, a 90) to the wreck we think it had been in before we bought it, and we bought another one brand new because it was the cheapest, which was a big mistake.

Maybee I have a bit of bias, but i have a good feeling you do too, Mr. "Dodgedude"

10. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

have a friend or two that have such bad experiences with their's they cuss every time they see a dodge of any kind and i've got another friend who loves his 94 ram more than anything??? i guess it's kinda hit or miss but i will say that my boss's wife has a 04 ram 2500 and hates it and the interior is cheap and ratty from what i saw of it.

11. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Me have new Dodge and Likey :D

Chicks dig it !!!!!! :)

[​IMG]

12. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

My little brother bought a Dodge when they came out with the new in body in 94(?). He burned up two trannies cause he tried to tow in OD. Other than that, it has been a solid rig and he does not take care of it all that well.

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:haha:

This thread's turning out pretty inconclusive...I'm still leaning towards the ram, but a lot of ads I'm seeing say "new ball joints", so apparently ball joints may have been a problem in these trucks, as someone else mentioned.

Seems like more than one person has mentioned tranny failure... That's not very encouraging, since that's why I'm ditching my Chevy pickup.

I'm of the same mindset that every company puts out a bad batch of product for a while at some point in their history. I just want to make sure I don't enter debt for one of those bad products. Taking out another loan for a vehicle is very emotionally hard for me to do... I hate debt and already hate owing money on our minivan.

So I'm more or less back to square one, but keeping a wary eye out for ball joints and tranny's in the dodge trucks, looking for a truck that's already had them replaced.

Thanks for the replies all!

Stallion, nice truck!

14. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

Joe im not trying to be biased, just trying for it to not get to the whole Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge thing.

like i said each one has its problems and quirks.

Dodges i admit people have tranny problems, but if you do a couple of addons they last.
    i havent had a problem with mine, it has 46k miles and has been pushing 36" TSLs or 37" MT/Rs since 18k miles. i added the biggest tranny cooler B&M made, a remote filter, and a cast deep tranny pan, all of which added about 6 quarts of fluid, and also a shift kit.

the bottom line is all truck manufacturers have problems.
    buy what you feel comfortable with.

15. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

In my area, people mostly use mid '90s F-150s. They seem to hold up pretty well and aren't too expensive because they are all over the place. I personally would choose the Ford over the Dodge. For a NEW truck, however, my choices would be a little different!

16. icer97

icer97 1/2 ton status

Aw yes another fellow Cummins owner. I have a 2004 crew cab sport laramie Cummins 4x4 myself. I dont see anything cheap or ratty about the leather interior in it. With the 90's I had a 99 sport. It treated me well. The only problems I have seen are when you lift them. They give tranny problems and eat ball joints and wheel bearings.

17. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

As a Dodge owner, my opinion is that the only good Dodge has a Cummins in it.

Our 2500 is nothing but problems, sucks gas and is lacking in power (especially for as much gas as it guzzles)