Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

thinking about a motor cycle because of gas cost

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by supersize75, Mar 3, 2003.

1. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

well gas is crazy and I can pick up a cheap bike foe 700-2000 bucks for an older one, the reason I am thinking of this is because gas is crazy and I calculated it will cost me about 60 bucks a week to go to school and back getting 7 mpg with the 396. The community college is in the boonies so traffic is not a concern and I would have to take a class and pay $100 bucks for the license parking is also free at the college for motor cycles, 2 years saves 220 bucks. what do you guys think?

heres the problem, I like to go fast and I think I would eventually start acting stupid on this thing/maby not though

girfriend says quote "oh my god, no!"

mom says "not under my roof"- um, i don't live with her, is this just a standered comment to this??

dad says "I don't like it but I understand where your comming from, what about a honda or some thing?"

Also what type of mpg do bikes get? examples?

thanks shawn /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

My 89 Fj 1200 currently goes about 120 miles on 6 gallons, that will improve if I change the Rear sprocket though. Most bikes will get around 35-40, depending on displacement and how generous you are with your wrist. Keep in mind, Bikes ROCK, but rain sucks, wind sucks, cold sucks, dust sucks, traffic sucks. All things you live with when your ride regularly, but you have to decide whether you like riding enough to endure them. I do, so I ride whenever possible. Also, depending on what you get, parts prices vary. just like cars. The two things that will get you killed quickest on a bike are your ego and not using your brain. Keep your ego in check so you're not trying to outdo/keep up with the other guy, and don't get lazy or stupid. If you don't feel comfortable, don't do it.

3. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

eric gave good advice. get a smaller, older used bike.
    have you ridden a street bike before?
    i would recommend a gpz550/gs500/xs650. mid-sized, enough power to wheelie (ya gotta learn, not just twist the throttle), and they should be cheap on purchase, mods, and parts.
    if it's strictly for commuting, you could throw on a fairing, and be set.
    plus, lane-splitting makes traffic jams a thing of the past.

4. 4x4dreamer

That is, if lane splitting is legal in your state. It's not here in Florida, and nothing pisses me off than seeing people do it because bikers have a hard enough time getting respect without some dumbass blatantly breaking the law. In CA the encourage it to keep traffic down. I would decide what type of bike you want by thinking about how you want to ride. (cruiser, dual sport, racer replica, standard, etc). Then go to a dealer and get an idea of how they fit on you. You may decide against a dual sport because of seat height. My Fj1200 is my first bike, but I'm a big guy and have had a lot of 2 wheel experience. But I respect that throttle because 120 HP/ 70+ lb/ft on a bike can kill you quick. Take a class...let me say that again...Take a class. The MSF class is best, and they will probably give you coupons on safety equipment that you can use to buy gloves or a jacket. Remember, a 250 cc can kill you just as quick as a 1000cc.

5. supersize75

0I will definatly take a class, this is a strickly for commuting purpose, I really want a comfortable bike though, no I have never ridden any thing except a dirt bike so I have a lot to learn, I am currenty thinking about an older honda/yamaha road bike or a early 90's ninja, we also have a 79 yamaha 750 It needs so work though and then I would have to deal with the fact that its my dads so I will just stay away from that all together /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. 4x4dreamer

Let me know if I can help. I get long winded sometimes, but I'm very passionate about motorcycling, and have seen too many people crash new bikes cuz they got in over their head. I would also look at something you can fix on your own to save costs. I found out my wheel bearings are all standard industrial size, so I bought them for 6 bucks each vs. the 30 that Yamaha wanted.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

For a small bike, don't rule out something like a 125 or 250 dirt bike as long as it's got lights, turn signals, and a horn (Leagle for the streets). Street leagle small dirt bikes are fun couse you can also play with them off road.

8. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Gas prices have me thinking about the Suzuki dual sports bikes{350-400}too.I like the idea of street legal and still decent offroad.We have areas you can ride a licensed vehicle,but,not a dirtbike.I tell people to ride like everyone is out to get you.People in cars don't see bikes a lot of the time so you have to watch them.Don't be paranoid about it,just ready for anything. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 4x4dreamer

My uncle says, "always expect people to do the dumbest thing possible, they'll never let you down." That's the rule I follow on my bike. Dual sports look like fun, but from what I've heard, they give up some on road handling due to the knobby tires, and some don't have the gearing for freeway use. but if that's not what you need, the it would be a blast. I would like to get one as well someday. I think Kawasaki makes a good one, it's got a nickname like Swamp Thing or something like that.

10. highwaydevil

highwaydevil 1/2 ton status

I think it depends alot on how long your commute is. I had a 78 750 Honda (probably like your dads), and it was good for commuting, but due to temperatures at 65 mph, I didn't ride it much. I now have a klr250 (Kawasaki) it doesn't have near the top end. I try not to get it much over 70 mph. I like it because it's mixed use. (Trail/Street) and it's a great toy.

11. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Yea I love that Idea /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif So why don't you by mine that has been on the board for sometime now /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I have pic's /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Eric

12. supersize75

I am liking this idea, should be around the same price and could even fit in the blazer with the back seat out, we had a early 80's trail bike that was street leage that my dads friend gave to us but we ended up giving it away because of the work it needed /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

13. Highlander

Here it is a 84 V-30 Magna low miles /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG] It's need a new seat and a little carb work but it does run.

Eric

14. 4x4dreamer

Neighbor is selling a Midnight Maxim 750 for real cheap. Been sitting a while so it will need some work, but it's a good bike.

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Like a couple of others have said. you might want to check into a dual sport bike. They are a good bike to learn to ride on and are a lot more forgiving than a fast superbike like a Ninja or GSX
    I have had a few Dual sport bikes. I liked them a lot. 500-650cc are the best for all around use. Plenty of power for the street and they still get around good off road. They also make a lot of low/midrange torque so they accelerate fast and get 30 to 40 mpg depending how it's driven.
    I had a 93 Suzuki DT 650 for a while. It was great. It was fairly comfortable on the interstate and got around town in traffic good. And could blast around on moderate trails no problem. It was the best dual sport bike I have owned. It was very light for a 650 which made it very manuverable.
    I have also had a Yahama DT 500 and 360 Enduro on off road machines.
    With the right tires they do handle pretty good on the street. the newer style on/offroad tires work well. But the bikes have higher center of gravity so they will never be a cornering machine. Kind of like the diference between a Blazer and a Vette /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. But all the ones I have had got around fine in traffic and were a lot of fun to ride.
    Besides I think they look cooler /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif than a plain old 650.
    [​IMG]

16. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Here is me and the bike i rode.... till i ate sh!t last month and broke my back. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    '97 Honda VFR 750 It got about 43mpg and more if i kept my foot outta it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    [​IMG]

17. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

screw the motor cycles, just buy a nice bicycle. even cheaper on gas. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. supersize75

but I'm in az /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

19. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Bisicycles are OK if you are always going down hill.They need motors to go up though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Highlander

Yea I know.......So when are you coming up?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Eric