Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking about a motorcycle

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 77crewcab, Aug 6, 2006.

1. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

I have been thinking about getting a motorcycle for my commute to school and I am trying to compare the costs of motorcycle versus driving my van. I need some help and input from those that currently ride to make sure I am including all costs. Here is what I currently have as comparisons.

80 mile round trip to school plus 20 to work and home 5 days a week. So 100 miles per week. I have a different school schedule than anyone else I go to school with so carpool is out. I still need the van for the family and bad weather days so selling it is out.
    Van:
    AVG 17 mpg mixed driving
    Needs some repairs to feel comfortable putting this kind of hard mileage on. Repairs mean downtime with nothing to drive and parts costs are about $1000.

Motorcycle:
    Purchase cost $1500-1800
    Safety course, license fee, helmet $350-400
    Insurance $40 monthly
    AVG 40-45mpg

It seems that with gas at $3 gal I would save about 170 per month by driving the bike. Are there any other things to consider?

2. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

The problem is when it comes to maintenance on the bike. Everything is so much more expensive than a car or truck. (Tires, plugs, wires, etc.) Other than that, I'd check around for insurance. I've got full coverage on my V-Rod and I only pay $130 a year with GEICO. (Yes, I saved a ton of money by switching to GEICO). The only other problem is if you get a nice enough bike, you'll want to start spending money on it. :wink1:

3. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

I already have Geico but am also 25 with an at fault wreck 2 yrs ago so my rates are a little higher. I am looking at older Hondas like early to mid eaighties vintage goldwing, shadow, or magna. My dad already has a 77 goldwing interstate so I have an idea of parts/maint costs. But seems like it would still be cheaper.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

thing to consider is not just a street bike. i got a on / offroad bike so i can save money and go play when i want. ebay has tons of these bikes at a cheep reasonable price now. i have seen some for 2-3k less than new with only few k miles on them.

5. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

the problem I have with riding my bike is that...riding it too much! I will put 120 miles on it so fast, mostly in 1 day, just out joy riding during my day off. Then I'll have to fill back up, so I've already spent about 20 bucks a week in gas which really isn't saving me any money compared to what it costs to ride in my Nissan. I've done a lot better these past few weeks since I stay home on my day off and it's only costing me 10 bucks a week. I think once the "new" of having one has worn off, then you'll save money then.

6. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you plan on putting that many miles on a bike, you better get yourself good riding gear. Good gloves, jacket and boots but that stuff isnt cheap.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If this is your first street bike, I'd get a smaller bike like a Kaw LTD 440. They can be had pretty cheaply, and you can find them in great condition.

8. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Is that a kawasaki? CC size doesnt really matter to me so a smaller bike would be fine. I was thinking for a 700 to 1100 cc bike but at this point a rebel 250 would be acceptable.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Yes, a Kawasaki. The LTD 440 is a nice little bike, and it's belt drive if I remember correctly. It's what I call a "starter" bike. Great for the first street bike. Small, easy too ride, good for learning on, ...ect. Do you really need a 700cc to 1100cc bike ??? The smaller bike will be good for your needs. Test ride a few bikes before you buy. Get what feels good to you.

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

the weather, you might be running both the same week.

11. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

If you go with the bike, remember EVERYONE is out to kill you...That car next to you, the one at the light ahead. the one in the turnlane ect. If you think that way you have a better shot at not getting spatted. I ride mine in atlanta traffic all the time.
    gabe

ps. Dont get a 250, Id say a 750 is about right. Not too heavy, not too powerfull, but you can merge with traffic and Get the f out of the way if need be

12. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

The weather is a factor but living in Texas I have pleanty of good days to ride. And when we do have really bad weather driving the van a day or two wont hurt. I just don't feel good putting 2000 miles a month on it. On the size I guess I am leaning towards a larger size so me and the wife can take weekend trips on the bike. I am really leaning towards an older goldwing. I really like the way my dad's handles and rides and I have seen some sale locally for the price range I am figuring.

13. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I love My Bike but I have to tell you I spent all morning with My wifes Brother in ICU. he was riding home last night from a Movie on the freeway. There were 2 cars side by side in front of him. they swerved out of the way of a tire in the road and clipped it. It poped up in front of him and nailed him off the bike. he took a total Face digger on the freeway. Broke a couple ribs and his colar bone and chunked his face above his eye(damn close to loosing it). he is going to be fine but they are calling in a neurologist to check him out. he is having tingling in his hands. I did the good Bro thing an Picked him up the new issue of STUFF magazine to keep him company. he is one licky SOB. He allways wears a full helmet, leathers gloves... full gear and it totally saved him. everything he was wearing was shredded to bits. they cut his leathers right off of him. when he woke up the only thing he was worried about was his Watch.(which was unscathed)

One lucky MOFO.

The moral is Ride hard be defensive and wear all you gear All the Time

14. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Well I think I found a bike that will work for me. I agreed to the purchase today and pick it up on Friday. I got a 1980 Yamaha XL 1100 with a Windjammer. Seems to be in pretty good condition, just needs some paint and a few small maintainence items. Has 20K on the clock and new tires, battery and starter. Best of all I was able to get it for $1200 which was right inline with my budget. So anyone know of a site like CK5 for these bikes? Or have any added info on them?