Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking about a new project

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wadinator, Sep 18, 2003.

1. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

Hey all...
    I don't know if I'll get in trouble for this or not, but I'm thinking about starting a new project truck and selling my burb. I'm just not sure what to ask for it. It's an 87 350tbi w/ 4" suspension (all springs), 3" body, 315/75/16 tires on AE 589 rims. D44 8-lug front and a ff14b rear locked with a detroit, both with 4.10 gears. It's got a Wilderness roof rack carrying a hi lift jack and a 35-12.50-16.5 spare.

I'm not sure exactly how many miles are on the GM crate motor, but I'd guess in the neighborhood of 60,000. And the 700r4 tranny probably has around 35,000 on it since it was rebuilt. 208 t-case is tight and solid as a rock. There's no real rust on the body. If you can find some, it's only surface rust

That's about it for the major stuff. Little odds and ends include bushwacker flares, electric radiator fan, pretty decent stereo, chrome nerfs, good hitch, overhead console, buckets, 3rd seat, rear air, etc...

Overall, she's in pretty good shape for an 87. She's nice to look at but not a show truck by any means. I guess it's a good 20 footer (looks pretty nice from 20' away). Take a look at the pics here... pics ... and let me know what you all think.

Thanks a ton!

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'd say your in the high 4k to low 5k range. Probably way less than you have spent. But if you find the right person who knows? What is your new project? So no more backcountry suburbans list?

3. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I'd suggest trying autotrader.com and searching for similar vehicles in your area and find out at what price they are selling locally. Markets can vary from region to region. For example a nice one like yours with no rust may fetch a higher price in your area (rust belt) than someone selling a similar rust-free vehicle in the SW because rust-free vehicles of that vintage are more common in that region.

Good luck with your decision!

4. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

You're right on, on both comments. I was thinking right in the hi $4's to lo $5's, and I do have way more than that invested. Somewhere between $10 and $15g's, and I've got the paperwork and receipts to prove it.

For my next toy I'm looking for a 92+ 3/4 ton Burb. Haven't found quite what I'm looking for yet.

5. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

AutoTrader?? For a built-up second gen Suburban? I don't think that'll help me much. Heck, my burb is a little off the charts for a site like AutoTrader. Know what I mean?

Heck, if you look up the VIN, it tells you my truck is a 2wd! That's cuz of the body swap I did with a Texas burb.

I think people more experienced in dealing with trucks like mine would be better suited to tell me what it's worth. The kind of great people you find here!

6. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would say keep it for your tough trail vehicle and use the newer style sub for your daily driver/ trip vehicle. At least until you get a decent price. I think you will really miss the solid front axle on the trail. I know I did, when our 93 Sub got stolen I went back to a 78 :-)

7. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

That's a good idea and all, but I don't do any off-roading. I always intended to, but I never did. Besides being used as a daily driver, the only work it ever does is pull my boat once in a while.

I had my fun building this this truck, and in addition to the money there's a lot of my blood, sweat, and tears invested in it. But now it's somebody elses turn.

8. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

Re: Thinking about a new project - UPDATE

Hey guys, just thought I'd share my good fortune...

I bought myself a 95 3/4tn 6.5TD 4x4 Suburban, and I found (actually he found me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) my 87 a new home too. Too bad it'll be a while before I get to start having fun building up my new toy, as we just bought a new house and our extra funds are going to be tied up for a while.

Man, things sure can change in a hurry some times! In the last year or so I've gotten a new wife, new son, new house, and a new (to me) truck. Crazy!