Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

thinking about body work

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bryguy00b, Oct 1, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

what about body work for a career...ive been kind of thinking about it..i could go into computers or something like that..but you have to have some good brains to do that..and basicly a peice of paper saying you are smart..well im not quite smart enough to get that peice of paper , and i dont real enjoy computers much..i want to work with automobiles..what do you guys think of body work as a profesion..ill be probobly going to boces to take body classes..i also want to learn how to weld and fabricate stuff too...

2. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Hey bry how is the truck going? Did you get everything worked out yet?

As for the body work. My father did it for most of his life. He managed a body shop for awhile too. If you have any specific questions Pm or email me and I can ask him for you. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Unless you REALLY enjoy it, body work SUCKS! I did it while in high school and a little while after. I was pretty good at it and can still fix things a few guys cringe at. I just HATE doing it. Also, most places pay piece work, so unless your fast, you don't make much money. Also, if your fast, but your work sucks, you won't make any money either. I say go ahead and try it though! I learned a lot in the few years I did it. Now, unless there is major damage, I fix it myself, and I help my friends do their trucks/cars, but I won't do it for a living if I don't have to. The welding and fabricating is cool though, I don't do that much anymore, but I could do that kind of work for a living again if I felt like it. I now have one of those computer type jobs /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. I just goes to show ya that you don't haev to be too smart to work with 'puters! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

thanx mandy..no its still not running, and im not much of a mechanic..my dad is one but hes kind of even lost..it will crank but its not sparking or something..the dis. moduale turned out to be bad..we reaplaced it, and it still made no difference...so i dont know when it will be running, and its all aprt in the garage right now waiting for the new rear floor/tailpan lol..so it will still be sittin for a while..

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea i think im going to try it out next year...i really want/need to learn how to weld and fabricate things that would come in really handy as well...as im kind of forced to do some body work when i put my new rear floor in..thats not small stuff either! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. Skroo

Skroo 1/2 ton status

I took it the last year of high school. A month after graduation I went to school(UTI) for it. I love it!!! I not only learned body work and paint, but I also learned basic mechanical, suspension, and air conditioning. They helped me find a part time job as a helper. I even had a job lined up before I graduated. I make good money, the work is easy, and if you have a place to do it, side jobs bring in good money. Like shane74 said, it does get slow but if you are in a good shop it should even out. Check out different schools and find work as a helper. You will learn a lot of stuff in school but if you can't apply it then it's useless. Good luck!

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

sounds cool!! thanx for the advice..when i do my floor ill see how it rubs of on me to..this will be a first time to..do they teach how to weld and stuff..seems like you would have to know how to do that..

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

don't know much aobut body work, but i bet your pickup coil in the distributor is bad...you have to pull the dist out to change it, but its pretty easy, and cheap

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

cool ill ask my dad...the distributer is already out now so that wouldnt be a problem...

thanx

10. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I have a few freinds that went into body work after HS. Some are still in it, and some are getting out of it. The money is good if you can do good work and still do it fast, but not many people can do that.