Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking about building a 1st gen...

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bullet, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Ok, nothing is serious or set in stone here...

But, My Dad and I were scratching our heads and thinking of crazy idea of what to do with our Jimmy. I came up with the idea of buying a 1st gen and converting all of the running gear of the '90 and transplanting it into the 1st gen:

-383 with Edelbrock Pro Flow MPFI & Bigger cam and aluminum heads
    -Built TH400
    -NP 205, klune'd or doubled
    -4-6" susp. lift, 1" ORD body lift
    -35" to 38" tires
    -Dana 60, 5.13 gears, Detriot locked, crossed and redneck ram
    -Dana 14B, 5.13 gears, Detriot locked.

Basically try and restore the body and have a good paintjob and a rhino linned interior and a roll cage. What I am trying to say is that we'd have a sharp looking rig that can still wheel the moderate/hard trails and look badass cruising in with the top off in the summer.

Or am I just pissing in the wind?

:smirk:

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

No reason why it couldn't work if you're willing to swap all the parts into an early frame, and not trying to simply drop a 1st Gen tub onto a late model frame.

It only takes time and money......(and plenty of both!)

:D

3. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I figured that both frames aren't the same.

Hey, how's that '69 project of yours doing?

4. LucasJ03

LucasJ03 1/2 ton status

That's almost exactly what mine is now.

Blazer 015.jpg

5. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!

I LOVE IT!

DO you have any more pics, I think I have seen some in the members rides.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Not bad....I don't have the space setup yet for actual construction, so I'm building the tube frame in 1/4-scale in my dining room! I've got a working 4-link rear suspension figured out, but need to finalize a way to mount the coilovers horizontally instead of vertically (see post in the CoG)

It's easy working with wooden dowels (1/2" dowel = 2" DOM) and just gluing things together. I've found a lot of problems that would have been expensive to fix in steel (especially with today's prices!)

I doubt that I'll start doing the real tubeframe work for at least another 6 months, but I am ALWAYS thinking and planning this project in my head and writing down ideas, and saving photos, links and articles that I find in the meantime. That should allow the actualy build to go pretty quickly, since the decision-making will have already been done ahead of time.

:saweet:

7. LucasJ03

LucasJ03 1/2 ton status

Most of my pics are in my gallery. If you want pics of certain things I can take them and email them to you, or post them in my gallery.

8. 4bynut

4bynut 1/2 ton status

LucasJ03 - How much suspension lift and/or body lift do you have to clear the 38's? Looks perfect by the way (very functional). Jason :cool1:

9. LucasJ03

LucasJ03 1/2 ton status

I have a body lowering kit(worn out bushings)lol. No body lift. As for suspension it's hard to say because I have switched out leaves in both my spring packs. If I had to guess I would say about 7-8" but I don't know for sure. In the rear I did the home made shackle flip and the springs started as 4" but I added a couple leaves to raise and make them more stiff, and then I have zero rates on them. In the front I have 4" springs with zero rates and 6 1/2" shackles. But the thing that made them fit the most is if you look close enough I'm missing alot of fender sheet metal.