Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking about buying a WELDER!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rasberry, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

I want to start to try to do my own welding. Mostly sheet medel. I'm looking to spend less than $400. What should I look for. Mig or Arc? Which is easyer? What do you guys think?

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Mig is deff easier. Might want to spend just a wee bit more money though.

Depdog

3. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

4. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF Registered Member

That Sears job is awful expensive for a mig 105? I'd stay clear of that one.

Check out Cyberweld.com, for the price of the Sears Mig you could get allot better welder.
    Also, Home Depot sells the Red Lincoln Electric Weld-Pak™ 100 Wire-Feeder/Welder for 339.00

I would consider saving up for a Miller 175, you'll have a mig that you won't have to upgrade. Many of my friends have gotten the less expensive migs only to upgrade a few months later, or wish they could. Welding supply stores seem to have the cheaper migs used for sale for just that reason.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

yup go look at the used market
    the smaller MIGs are always around if you keep looking
    here the bigger ones are NEVER available used
    I waited for a few years to try and get used but had to bite the bullet and give Miller a months wages

Century and Clark Hobart and Lincoln all make a 130 or so that you should look at

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I bought a Lincoln AC 225 Stick Electrode welder. I like it just fine and have made many things with it, such as tube doors, spare tire carriers, welding tables and a whole flatbed. All in all though, even though I love my welder to death, it's probably better to go with mig because it will weld easier for a beginner and weld thinner material. If you are planning on welding real thick stuff, you'll need to drop a lot of cash into a mig, or do a lot of beveling, or just learn how to weld with stick electrode.

Money was an issue with me too, the Licoln Ac 225 cost me $210 at Runnings Farm and Fleet. I've spent about $400 in steel in 3 months heh heh.

Good luck! A welder can make dreams come true! If your dreaming of a flatbed! Or melted puddles of slag!

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well if your just looking at heavy stuff like bumpers and stuff .the cheap way to go would be a AC225 Lincoln arc welder. This type of welding takes a lot of practice. If your also wanting to do stuff like body work then you need a mig. Trying to do body work with a stick welder is like trying to get food off your moms fine china with a 5lb sledge hammer. Get a lot of holes.
    These 110v welders like the lincoln weld pack or a good compliment to a stick welder but I personnaly feel it just doesnt have the grunt for stuff like bumpers and skids.
    If you only want to buy one wich that will do every thing then you need to step up and get a 220v Mig. It will be able to do what you want but you going to be up to $600 for a decent one. Then you have to get your tank and I recomend thi biggest you can get. Figure about $150 for a tank to add into any mig. You can do flux core but lots of spatter and not what you want for body work.
    I use a Hobart Handler 175. Its a trimmed down Miller 175. It geared for home use like what your wanting. Looking about $600 to your door with a cart from www.cyberweld.com Heck of a welder. I have built a 5x10 trailer with it and it never broke a sweat with all the welding I had to do.

8. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

good article.

I was tempted to step down to that welder with the spool gun promo they have going now, I resisted though

10. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I have a small 105 mig. All i can use it on is sheet metal! It's to light to do much else. Mine is sold by matco tools, but is made by Power Mig. sold for 429.00 new with cart. I will be selling it because I want a bigger/better welder. I was thinking of 200.00 or so. It needs a regulater kit. (lost mine) using flux core wire.

11. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

After reading that article I'm going to wait a while before I start my welding career. I only have a little more body work to do for now. I'll get to learning how to weld sooner or later.

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Nice write up Dep. Look forward to coming down and making some sparks on that thing! Bet that Carpul tunnel payment for that sweet machine worth it /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

13. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting