Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking about cable clutch????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Batmanjr, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Has anyone made a Cable clutch? I'm thinking about making my clutch work from a cable with ballbearing ends! The throw on the 465/4500 is only 3-4" and I could easily attach the cable inside the cab to the pedal! It wouldn't be hard to make a bracket to hold the cable on the transmission! Would it work? Or would the force needed for the clutch be too much???? Any opinions???

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Hydrolic would be easier. use a pull style slave. Make a mounting point that replaces the access cover on the side of the tranny as a mounting point. Here is the set up on a SM420
    [​IMG]

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Grim,
    How is that attached to the clutch fork? Would make it easier for me than changing bell housings

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I still say that looks like junk.
    the double nut grinding away at some plate, and I can just imagine the fork end is equally as ugly.
    it could be done much nicer then that but as the factory has already done the work it is so much easier to use off the shelf parts

5. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

I REALLY want to replace my mechanical clutch with hydraulic. I have read all the posts, and I kinda get what needs to be done. However I have more money than time (and not much of either). Any ideas what kind of shop would have the knowledge to do a conversion like this?