Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking about Changing Ring and Pinion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WakeBoard&4X4er, Aug 31, 2000.

1. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I want to know, Has any ever changed there Ring and Pinion? If so, is it that hard of a job? I have a 1991 K5 and i know that i should change the rear-end gears(and front) from 3.42 to 4.10 or lower, like 4.56. Is it better to get just the grears that fit in factory rear-ends, or all new axils and diffs? I had a thought about doing a 3 in body lift, with the already 4 inch susp. lift, so that i could put 36's on. But if larger tires means that i have to go to a 3/4 or 1 ton axle, I would lean more to staying the same hight and tire size. I plan on keeping this K5 for the rest of my life or its' life!! The main use will be using it to pull boats, and a fun daily drive. I do plan on have a different car for long trips. Thinks for you time and all your great into.

Big Cox

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

What axles do you have? My guess is a 10 bolt rear for that year. If so, you should upgrade the whole axle if you want to go with tires larger than 33".

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. WakeBoard&4X4er

in that case i will not ever get bigger tires then 33, so can i just change the intral gears?

4. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I was thinking about doing my own but I decided to have an expert do this instead. He let me take photos of the whole install and after seeing what's involved, I'm glad I had him do it. I usually do all work myself but this required a press, dial indicators, micrometer, bearing pullers and several other misc tools that I didn't have. I'd suggest having it done if you haven't done this before.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

5. WakeBoard&4X4er

what gears did you go from - to and what was the total cost?

6. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

In the past post you talk of pulling your boat and driving cross country with that in mind and since your stopping at 33s I would think that 3:73 or 4:10 or so would be the right gear. You may find that to even go to the 3:73 you will need new diffs any way. I have done this and live in the same tome as you. By the way there a trail run OCT 7th to Disney OK leaving KC metro friday night playing saterday back saterday night or sunday am

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

7. Shawn

I went from 4.10 to 4.88
    The gear install cost for both axles was $500
    ARB front locker install was $200 extra
    Dana 60 and 14 bolt 4.88 gears were around $500

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

8. WakeBoard&4X4er

KOOL!
    I have a lake house on Grand Lake!!! I am going there this weekend. Iwas not planing on go there the next weekind (the 7th) however I will think about it.
    About the gears. what do you think it would cost to go from stock to a 4.10 rear-end, what ever you think is best. I do not want to go 3.73, might ever go to 4.56. Just want the power.

9. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Sorry thats the weekend of 7/10/00 3:73 is the point were the carrier has to be changed over. to go from your 3:43 to the 3;73 would be about the 500 or so but to go to the 4:10S would mean new diffs, if you change the diff it would be the time to go to lockers a detroit in back would be the best. In front the arb would be the best for a street truck. Any way you go it another 1200 to 1400 for the diffs and the rest of the bearings that would be needed, And yes I run a detroit in back and an ARB in front my self.

Ken

10. WakeBoard&4X4er

would it be 500 bucks for both front and rear?

11. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

You guys are getting taken to the cleaners. Or just plain ripped off. The guy that did my gears charges 175 labor. I had gears and lockers front and rear. And that cost me 350. cash. This is all he does. rearends. It is warranted and everything.

12. Shawn

I don't think my price was too bad. I called several places here in Denver and this was the best I found. This also included replacement of all bearings that came with the install kits. I doubt he would waive the charge for an ARB. The ARB is by far the most difficult locker to install. Between installing the air compressor/switches, wires, air line, drilling/tapping a large hole in the diff, and grinding the bearing cap, he should of charged me more.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

13. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I do my own, I was talking about the gears and barings cost only. My ARB was a 3 night job I dont think 200 to install it is bad. The last 12 bolt gear set I got was about 170 to 180 the install kit was another 125. The kit had all the bearings races shim pack, ring gear bolts, seals and gaskits. so the parts are about 300 or soo for each axels plus an ARB is about 600 or so and the detroit is about 500. No labor parts are 1200 to 14 or 1600 labor to set up a gear set in an axels out of the truck is running about 100 to 200 here in KC.

Ken