Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

thinking about doing auto detialing for a side business and....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bad_bo_ti, Dec 7, 2003.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

i was wondering what you guys use to clean vehicles with that would make it more profitable to me, like good cleaners for chrome and bug and tar remover etc., i am in the collision repair field and at work we only use certain products and i dont want to trial and error too much while doing this on the side, and it would be nice to find cheaper product to make for profit off of, i have seen a couple places advertise dry car wash products, anyone hear or use any of these? i dont think i will limit myself to just vehicles i will probably do boats and semis if i can. or if anyone has any ideas to make good money for other side jobs let me know, i would like to get out of what i am doing and maybe start my own full time business. thanks, for all the help chris

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i washed and waxed all of my dad's company vehicles and i figured the best way to do it would be with a polisher. so we bought a buffer and i used some mothers caranuba wax. i ended up doing 6 cars (including a suburban and 2 caddi's...not small vehicles) with just one can of wax. so you get a great wax job for pretty cheap. it then got the word around to others, and now other people are asking me to do thiers. so the way i see it, a buffer is the most profitable way with this. it puts it on nice, evenly, and thin thus taking the wax further and allowing more vehicles to be done. o ya, i also bought some polisher for any varnish or any oxidation on the paint. it was $18 for the bottle, but well worth it. good luck

NITRO

3. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

If you really want to make some money in detailing and you are portable, do airplanes.... A firend of mine is making a great living doing that and he is booked 4 weeks in advance all the time.... You just have to be carefull around the wings. If you bump your head on the control surfaces it can hurt quite a bit. Bleed real good too.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

interesting...

i have a hard time believing that theres any moeny at all in detailing and such, and especially airplanes ? thats sounds pretty wild, maybe its just cuz of where i live ? although i know of a guy locally who has been washing cars in his front yard for a few years now and always has a car in his yard washing and he makes like 40 or 50 a car doing it, so hmm, dunno..

someone elaborate on this ? im curious,.
    hmm.,.

5. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Think about it. The average small airplane costs around 50k to 100k to start with. And there's a lot more twin engine jobs that cost a heck of a lot more. The owners don't have the time to detail, wash and wax their aircraft. A nicely waxed airplane flies better. These people have the money to spend. And there is really no difference detailing a plane or a car. Maybe a little more surface area on the plane but a much smaller interior and usually no dog hair to clean up. Only one headlight in most cases. Very little or no chrome. 3 small tires. No mud. And once you do a few good jobs your name will be passed around like wild fire. They will also start asking you to do their corvettes, porches, benzes, ect while you are there. You can do their car right there in the same spot you did their airplane while they are out flying. You will also prolly get to go for a flight now and again. You will be dealing with nothing but people with money. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

yes that is what i was wanting to do was be portable. there isnt a portable service in town that i know of. never thought about the plane thing, there is a small airport in a town close to me i might look into that. thanks for the input. chris

7. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status