Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking about doing exhaust

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Danno, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Truck is in my sig below.

I'm not ready for headers yet (don't have the $$$), but I would like to get ready for them by beefing up my current exhaust.

I'd like to go 3" all the way back. No cats on the truck, so no worries there. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it would still be emissions/road legal in Boulder County, CO to run without mufflers?

Also, can anyone recommend any good shops in the Denver/Boulder/Fort Collins area for exhaust work on K5s?

1984 K5 Blazer 4x4 Silverado
    6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires

2. carolina custom

carolina custom 1/2 ton status

I dont know about emission legal w/o a muffler but a non-turbo 6.2 will be to loud to drive on the street with out getting pulled by Johnny Law. Glass packs will wake any one with in half a mile. Go with 3" straight through mufflers. If you want it real loud start it up once you cut the old pipes off and see if you can tollerate it.

84k20,18:1- 6.5td,400/208,4.10,5.5",35"s

3. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

I've never heard a 6.2L diesel with straight pipes, so I didn't realize it would be that loud. Guess I'll just find some good high flow mufflers, then.

Anyone running Dynomax mufflers?

4. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

You know, the Banks kit comes with a new exhaust system... And think of the money you will save by not worrying about buying headers anymore...

My Blazer has lots of holes in it's exhaust system, it's VERY loud. I definately recommend mufflers. Loud loses it's novelty value quickly. I had a couple of estimates done for a new 3" single system done, they were around $600 to $800. Apparently, these trucks need "high-temp" mufflers and pipes. Maybe "high-temp" really means "pay me more, sucker".

<font color=red>When in doubt, empty the magazine. </font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/calcide>http://www.geocities.com/calcide</a>
    1983 K5 Blazer Silverado, 6.2L Diesel

5. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

I'm not going turbo with this engine. Maybe if I do a rebuild, or get a different block, or go to a 6.5L, but not right now.

I've heard good things about Dynomax mufflers, so I guess I'll look into getting a pair of those when I have my exhaust done.

6. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

$600 to $800 [​IMG] I guess ill have to save for the banks.

1984 GMC Jimmy 379 diesel, 700R4, 3.73s, 31x10.50 x 15

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I know a guy who tried running dual straight pipes on his 6.2. It lasted about 2 weeks before he couldn't stand it anymore and installed mufflers.

I'm not sure about having to run any type of special muffler. My '90 has had just regular old mufflers on it for at least 6 years now. The factory mufflers started rusting through but the pipes were still good so I just had a shop splice in a set of glasspacks. They sounded pretty good, most people thought ti sounded like a gas engine but just a little deeper tone. The only problem with glasspacks is that they degrade pretty quickly and start sounding pretty ratty (it's the same when they are on a gas engine). A couple of years later I had a complete system installed with a set of Rino mufflers (local shop had them and recommend them). The guy said he thought they were similiar in sound to a Flowmaster. Anyway, I thought, along with most people, that it sounds really good. These were installed back in about '96 or '97 and no problems so far.

8. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

I think I managed to make mine sound meaner without going overboard. See the link "exhaust" on my page link below. It has a deep rumble. But it's not obnoctious at cruising speed. People have said they first thought I had put a gas engine in it when they heard me drive by them, but the idle gives it a litle away, sound almost like a boats exhaust[​IMG]

And remember that at first after you install anything it will be louder than after a few months, because the sooth(sp) dampens the sound at least 20%

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>

9. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Look in my photo album on the '81 for another interesting alternative to exhaust systems.......it really sets the truck apart! I get a lot of comments on it.

Casey

1986 K-10, 6.2L N/A diesel, SM465, NP208, 3.73 gears
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/14911798DvydoACKJE>My Chevy Photo Album</a>

10. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

That's nice!

11. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Thanks!!!

1986 K-10, 6.2L N/A diesel, SM465, NP208, 3.73 gears
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/14911798DvydoACKJE>My Chevy Photo Album</a>

12. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Yep,I have to build exhaust,too.Last thursday I dropped 6.2 on my Blazer.Went on easily/forums/images/icons/cool.gif,flexplate gave me little problems,I got gasser flexplate with engine.Lucky for me I checked it before I installed engine/forums/images/icons/smile.gif.
    I'm gonna make single 3" exhaust pipe w/1 muffler.I put muffler on passenger side,easier that way even though T-case and front driveshaft are there.So,my question:how close to passenger side exhaust manifold I can make the Y-joint?Or does it matter where it is?
    I want to keep exhaust pipe as high as possible so it won't catch any rocks etc.

13. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I've got Flowmasters on mine and it's "kinda" loud but livable (with no interior). If you go dual you should try to add a crossover pipe, especially if you use a "J" (non EGR) intake. Pick up a couple of horses and quiet it down. I've got a turbo kit waiting in the garage, so I'm not going to mess with mine anymore.

14. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Hrm... I didn't consider doing a crossover pipe, and I am negotiating with K30 for a J intake.

Gotta do brakes, suspension, and tires before I spend money on exhaust. Thanks for the idea about the crossover.