Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking about getting a new job.....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hunterguy86, Jun 20, 2006.

1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Ok so my job in internet tech support is getting really frustrating.

I'm thinking about looking for a new job. I will not leave the one I have until I find something better that pays the same.

I was thinking about applying at one of the local auto parts stores or one of the local oil change places.

Pros of my current job:
    -Good pay
    -Flexable schedual
    -I have learned a lot about computers and networking

Cons of current job:
    -frustrating customers
    -Frustrating coworkers who tell customers the wrong thing, so I get to hear the bitching
    -Very repetative
    -No progress seen in my work

Opinons???
    Stay where I'm at and see if it gets better or look and see what else is out there.

By the way I'm a college student. I have to have a job to pay bills.

2. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Dustin, I can tell you this. Unless you plan on climbing the manager ladder at the oil change place, I would avoid that. Low pay, not much in the way of discounts- percs, gets old real fast. Auto parts sales ? Low pay but if your a gearhead the discounted parts help a lot. Also, if you pull wrenches you pick up lots of sidework doing quick easy installs for customers in your off hours.
    Of course theres a management ladder to climb in retail auto parts also. The downside is much like your I T work, frustrating dumb a** customers and deadbeat co-workers.
    Your profile states you would like to teach high school, is that still your plan?
    -Cary

3. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

Let me start off by saying that I feel your pain. I worked in phone tech support for a LONG time (goin back to the dialup days), and its definatly no fun at all.

Ok now that thats out of the way, onto the advice.

Do you intend to make computers a career? If you do you MUST tough it out in the tech support. Believe it or not now, that experience will look like gold to a possible future employer. Almost everyone in tech has does some level of support, so they will understand that this entry on your resume means you not only have gained a vast array of tech knowledge, but that you posses the ability to deal with people (thats big).

If computers and tech are not a career option for you, get out as fast as you can, you sanity isn't worth the extra few bucks a pay you might get from this job over any other low level job.

my $0.02

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Hmmmmmm...... Sounds like a good job

That sounds like 95 percent of all the jobs on the market.:D
    Might want to tough out your job at least till you get out of school.
    Flexable hours and good pay are hard to beat.
    If your co workers and customers give you a lot of problems........................................ Just start packing a side arm.

5. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Well I thought about it a lot yesterday. I think I am going to try and stick it out here for a while at least. I am going to look on the side for a job I think, just so I can see what my options are. On the side I'm going to start doing basic repairs and oil changes for people. I've got 2 jobs lined up already, so we shall see how this goes.

I have no desire to make this job a career. I have changed my major to construction technology, however I'm really not sure of where I want to go with that. I think being a highschool shop teacher would be cool.

I'm still young and indecisive and have a lot to learn.