Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking about getting a newER truck, what should I look for?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Jonathan, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

Ok, the K5 is starting to piss me off. It's started smoking bad and running like sh!t and the gas mileage just took a dump too, I could probably fix it, but it's rusty and I want something newer. I want something with doors that shut on the first or second try, something with windows that stay in their tracks when you roll them up, something with a motor that starts after October, something I can drive over 60mph without worrying about staying on the road, and something that can get around 16-17mpg on the highway. Don't get me wrong, I love my K5, but I need something else, I was gonna get a Camaro, but then I found out what insurance was like for a 17 year old with a Camaro (and I found my dream Camaro, too), so I think I've decided I want a mid 90's Chevy 4x4, 1992 at the earliest, probably a regular cab, preferably a Z71, short bed, I like the stepsides, and of course I want a V8, I'd prefer a 350. I've got about $5000-$6000 to spend, can I get a decent truck for that much? Are there any problems these trucks have that I need to look out for? Are some years better than others? I'd like to have one with a vortec engine, but I don't think I can afford it.
    Thanks

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I know right where your comeing from. My winter ride/dog hauler is really-really ruff. Fact is, the only reason I wear my seat belt, is to keep from falling out of it. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I don't really think there is a "bad" year. But a genneral rule of thumb is the newer (year), the better. High mileage doesn't really scare me, milage is kind to a car. It's people that are tuff on 'em. When your shoping around, take a good close look at the brake-pedal pad and carpet around the area, is it worn? Rubbed though? - Good indication that it's been driven hard.

I looked around for my current copy of "Truck-trader", but couldn't find it, so I'm not sure what the going rate is.
    BTW, "Truck-Trader" is pretty good place to start looking, keeping up-to-date and watching what sells and what doesn't is a good way to know what the "market" is like. So you don't over-pay for something, and whan there is a good deal, you can jump on it.

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Youll probably have to get something more like a 90-93 for that much if you want a good truck. ou might get 15 mpg on the highway, depends on the gears, tires and your right foot. Also, the Z71 really isn't much different than the 4x4, just get whatever you find, don't try to just look for Z71's

4. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

The vortec started in 96 I beleive. The interior change happend in 95, the 3rd door for the ex cab started in 96 and in 97 they added the passenger side airbag wich is the 2nd air bag for the truck. The grills changed in 95 too I beleive. I much prefer the interior of the 95 and up.

I have a excab myself but if you want a standard cab you may be able to find on with the vortec (96 start year) that you can afford. It would take some looking. You can always buy something wrecked and fix it up. That is what I did, its the only way I could afford one myself.

Ive had a 93 and a 96 and Ive loved both of them.

The Z71 does give you a few other options in the package like the shocks (blistens), the skid plate, the radiator (i think), air filter, and the battery. Oh and the trailer wireing but I could be wrong. Nothing really major.

I had a k5 myself and I was happy with it too but once you drive a 90s pickup I think you will be REALLY happy with it. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I have some rebuildable truck sites on my links page. Maybe you can find something in your area to fix up if you really want a vortec. If you can do without the vortec then you shouldnt have a problem finding a standard cab pickup for that price.

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Jonathan, I have a suggestion for you, when I was looking for new trucks (chevs,year 2000) I found that the new 4wd, standerad cab pick-up, base models were selling for around $18,000. Now I know thats out of your price range but hear me out. If you use some of that $5000.00 for a down and you pay the full 18k msrp. Your looking at about....20k lets say. OK, with your down of say the full 5k we are finacing 15k, your monthly payment streched out could be as low as $250.00 a month. You could swing that huh? I saw tons of base 4wds on the lots for like 18-20k. Granted they had manual windows, no carpet, but they were v8s with automatics! Some had a/c and cruse. Keep in mind these are new trucks...brend spankin'. Now one other thing that you said that I'm not answering correctly is MPG. I ended up getting a 2000 2wd with the new 5.3l (the trucks I was talking about were 4.8l v8s) it gets best of 13.5mpg. Not so good but I do drive hard......most times. So like I said not really what was asked but one other thing to think about none the less.

Mine is base no cruse no nothing and it does whats asked, so think about your options. Even if you buy from a dealer and it's like $7000.00 you can put like 1k down and use the rest to do stuff to it.

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I snagged this from a reply I made a while ago.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Base model Silverado, work truck No fluff, 2wd. $19,000.

-Base model H/D, work-truck, No fluff, 4wd, auto trans, cruise, locker, 6.0L. $28,000 !

-Base model H/D, work truck, 2wd, manual and a 8.1L. $24,000

8.1L is a $850 option. Needs a manual trans or Allison (? I think)

I'll stick to my gunns, Chevrollet makes a superior product!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I walked the lot, and the above is what we had in stock, at the time.

the W/T badgeing is gone, but they still sell the stripped down models, w/o any of the "extra" junk.

7. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

I went looking today and found nothing that met my requirements but 1998 model trucks, these were nice trucks so I'm pretty sure they were out of my price rang. I'm going to go look across the river in North Little Rock tomorrow (I live in Little Rock). Maybe I'll find something I want.

8. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Good luck with it.
    Don't be in such a rush, take your time if you can.

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Here are the changes for the earlier ones:
    90 - one piece headlights
    91 - headrests on bench seats
    92 - gauges
    94 - grille
    95 - interior
    These are the only ones I know of, and most of them aren't a big deal, but it lets me show my knowledge/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

10. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Dude, whats up in Utah? I bought my 2wd base with a 5.3l, and 3.73 rearend for like $17,800. The other truck I saw on the lot was a shortbed 4wd with a 4.8l and 4.11:1 gears and it was almost $18,000 on the dot. Granted that was in 2000, but still. Wow thats a bit much for the new base modles. Used is still a good option though. You can finance it and get a nice truck for little out of pocket.

11. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

Well, I think I found one today. It's a 96 GMC Sierra K1500 SL with the W/T style headlights and grill and 101,000 miles and a 5-speed transmission. The dealer only wants $6000 for it. The only thing I don't like about is that it seems to have a 305. I'm going back to look at it again tomorrow morning, any problems I should look for? What kind of power did the Vortec 305 make? Does this sound like a good deal?

12. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Price sounds a bit high to me, but I really have no idea what the trucks are selling for- maybe it's on par.

The Vortec 5.0 (305) is a solid engine, pretty much the same power out-put as the old TBI 350. Backing it up with a manual 5-speed you never miss the 45 fewer cubes. (Just make sure it's a V-8 not a V-6)

13. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Dude, whats up in Utah?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Looks like my quote is only a grand or so off from what you paid, and I don't recall what options it had tho'.
    BTW, those were sticker prices - so take that for what it's worth too.

14. RAY

RAY 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Look at www.edmunds.com to find out what the going price is for that make and model. Also, don't be affraid to walk away I walked away for a month on my '97 and the dealer came down to $3000. Good Luck!
    Ray

15. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Thats a pretty good price, I think. I kow a guy who just bought a really similar truck - a Cheyenne for like 11K. He got ripped off bad though...its a V6 and I hate it...didn't know they made 305's as late as 97

16. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

Well, I bought it. It's a 96 Sierra and it does heve a 305. Twiztid, you were right, the manual really does make up for the 305. I drove 2 Z71's with 350's, a 96 and a 98, both had autos, and I don't think either were as fast as my truck. Mine has low gears though, I have to shift into 4th by about 40.

17. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Kinda funky how that works isn't it? (manual trans -vs- auto)

The torque converter on an Auto doubles the torque out-put of an engine, before the torque is multiplied again by the first gear ratio.
    The standered trans only has first gear to multiply the torque out-put.
    So......
    If you do the math, the Auto trans would have more torque applied to the rear wheels.
    And since torque is what gets you moveing, you would think the Auto trans would "feel" better.
    But in the real world, thats simply not the case.