Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

thinking about getting back into blazing...oil burner style.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

well its looks like my old trustee 89k5 isnt coming back. it was stolen back in june with no word since. i was thinking of moving on and getting something newer, more reliable, better fuel mileage etc. but nothing seems to fit the bill like my old K5 did.
    pickups are too big, minitrucks are too small, most SUVs are lame. now that the sting of the loss is dulling, ive been thinking about a k5 again.
    i know diesels dont have the HP that a gas does, but the better fuel economy is really attractive. what i dont know about is reliability. how reliable are these things? better than a small block?
    im pretty familiar with other diesels. i maintain a cummins and two cat diesels at work. dont know too much about the 6.2. how easy are they to work on? what kind of life can you get out of one on average?200k? 300k? what's a decent one worth? i've been looking at this one on ebay:

Ebay Link

turbo sure sounds nice. is 150k getting worn out? what are some things to look for? is 6500 too much? what about an offer? 5k? Any and all opinions are greatly appriciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2007
  2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

In my oppinion that is a very nice truck, but depending on how much you plan on wheeling it and how hard you will wheel would determine if it is the right truck. I don't like starting with a high dollar truck that needs better axles, lift, tires, etc. to make a really good wheeler. I would rather take a descent truck for alot less money and spend the extra money saved on upgrades.

One major problem I would would be concerned with is the trans. They aren't the strongest from the start, then you put the added torque of a TURBO diesel, bigger tires, and the loads added from offroading and IMO your asking for trouble. Just my view though...

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

300K isn't unreasonable for a 6.2, although it may be pushing it a bit. Mine has 229,000 on it right now and still runs strong. With the Banks sidewinder it should run quite strong, and should be quicker than a mild TBI 350. It does appear to be in good shape...

Rene

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2007
  4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

the tranny is a big concern of mine too.but not a deal breaker.i like the 700r4, and a turbo 6.2 is comparible to a stock TBI 350 so overpowering it shouldnt be a problem. i really dont want to start with a beater.i already got a money pit rust bucket that im fixing up.
    this wont be a real serious crawler either. it would be my DD. no sheetmetal bending trails, just 2-3 trails, snow runs, etc. small lift, 35" AT's,open 3/4t axles(sitting in my garage). im looking for something at least as clean as my last K5...which was as good or better than this one.

before i was considering another K5 i was mainly looking at a latemodal yota. 2000-04 tundra to be specific. i want something deadnuts reliable thats nice to drive. if i got a new truck i'd pretty much leave it stock, as long as its got 4wd its good enough.

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

what do you think that truck is worth rene?

6. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

If that is the type trails you will be doing then sure. Just wasn't sure how hard you planned on hitting the trails. The torque of that diesel was my concern though, that is the big killer of a trans. But like you say it shouldn't be a deal killer if everything else is as you want it. You can always go through the trans when neccesary. Very nice looking truck though.

7. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

thats a sweet K5. i'd be afraid to dent it. but it would definately make a good daily driver.

8. tRustyK5

I suck at figuring what something's worth...mostly because it's a US market and I'm in Canada. I can say that up here $10K wouldn't surprise me, but in CA where very few vehicles have rust $10K would be insane. My best 'guess' is that what it's worth is somewhere between the $5K you were thinking of offering and the $6500 they're asking for it.

The interior is very nice
    The body does concern me a little though. It has definitely seen a repaint...which isn't necessarily bad but could mean it's been hit in the past. Have you done a car-fax on it yet? Are you able to go see it in person?

The mileage doesn't worry me...and with regular maintenance the 6.2 makes a good DD. They're really quite simple to work on and when everything is OK they start up quite easily and reliably. That said I wouldn't put it in the same league as a newish Tundra...it is almost a 20 year old truck.

Rene

9. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

cant see it in person. truck is in texas, im in CA.
    carfax is clean. repaint was probly due to fading of hood/roof.
    anything specific i should ask afa the 6.2 is concerned? the seller said no major work has been done to the engine, but pretty much everything has been rebuilt or replaced everywhere else.
    trans and tcase are rebuilt 1.5 yrs ago.
    has extensive service and repair records. sounds well taken care of.

how much increase in hp/tq does the banks kit provide? and how much boost?
    i was looking at the spec sheet on here, there is two stock hp levels for 6.2? im assuming thats the intake EGR thing. the banks kit uses the Jcode manifold right?

10. tRustyK5

Banks kit could use the 'C' code.

Peterson's did a banks kit on a K5, and with the exhaust new and some other things taken care of it put down 172 hp to the rear wheels and 451 lbs of tq. This was through a 700R-4 and with 4.56 gears and 35's. IIRC the Banks kits make between 10-14 psi of boost.

I'd ask if it has the Banks exhaust as well.

I'd ask for some close up pic's of the harmonic balancer, they are known to go bad causing the crank to break. The rubber between the inner and outer part should appear firm and in good shape. any part that looks like it's squeezing out would indicate the need for a new balancer.

Ask if it has the standard starter or the gear reduction starter.

The gear reduction starter is much better...ask for pic's of the starter area to confirm it has the starter brace installed.

i'd ask for some underside pic's to see if it's all dry or if there are/were any leaks.

Pic's of exhaust...

Rene

11. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

IMO after I went to diesel I dont ever want to go back. High horspower gas engines are cool but are more novelty than anything.(I have a Hot rod myself) they are super reliable and strong. the weak point is the trans. I add fluid and drive her. If she starts she runs and I like that. I have well over 150,000 miles on my 6.2.