Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking about getting serious...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by coloradoblazers, Jun 20, 2003.

1. coloradoblazers

coloradoblazers 1/2 ton status Premium Member

With the truck. This is a long, loaded ordeal, but I would appriciate all /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif! Here is what I have debating. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I am going on a 'buisness' trip,' but when I get back I want do drop some serious $$$. I am thinking of getting a newer tahoe as a tow rig/dd and gearing(gotta love the pun) my 87 K5 more towards a play truck. I need a new engine and tranny, so I figured I could go all out, and get something I want. Here are the ways I came up with:
    1. Rebuild 305, SM 465, and NP 208 (yeah, right)
    2. 383 Stroker, SM 465, 208
    3. 454, TH700, whatever
    4. Caddy 500, TH400, whatever
    5. Caddy 500, NV 4500, NP203/205(or both w/ doubler)
    I want either #4 or 5, but am debating the auto/manual idea. I love driving sticks, but it will take some work to get the engine/tranny to work. I know alot of pros and cons for both, but give me more!
    Anyone who has undertaken this type of buildup, let me know, all help/ preperation will be greatly appriciated!
    I plan on rebuilding my dana 60, do I need to replace gears if they are good? I want to stuff it with an OX, E-locker, or vaccume locker(need help there too), then swap to the 70 outers.
    Rebuild the 14 bolt, put either a detroit or selectable locer in it, add discs.
    As for wheels and tires-I want to go with the hmmwv runflats, we use those here at work, cant beat em. just change the backspacing, go from there. Tires, 44 swampers would be killer, but probly go with 39 or 42s.
    I think the only stock part I will have when all is said and done will be the headlight knob. As you can tell, I am dumping serious money here, just trying to get all the advice, gripes, stories, opinions that I can. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gifBottom line: what do you think? I have been searching all subjects in depth, just wanted to bring them togeather.
    Thanks everbody!
    J /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

You want to drop some serious cash and make your rig fun. Buy an Auto Tranny and install a Doubler behind it. Thats the absolute best mod Ive done besides 1 ton drivetrain with Lockers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

As far as the engine goes, I'd serously think big block Chevy. I've never been one too leave my engine stock for too long if I can afford too build it up. There is a lot more after market parts for a big block Chevy avalible then for a Caddy motor. Well anyways, that's just my thought on it.

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I would have to agree with mudzer on the auto tranny and doubler if you plan to rock crawl. What are you planning on using the truck for? I would definitely go big block if you plan to play in the mud. Caddy or chevy is your choice, but you're gonna have a hard time finding performance parts for the caddy and at a resonable price to boot. Good luck with your buisness trip! I know exactly where you coming from!

Kris

5. coloradoblazers

What about the strength/reliability of an auto, with a cooler installed will it handle the torque of a monster big block. ON the engine, I know it is realitivly easy to build up low end torque with the 500's, what are the best ways to do it with a 454(can you turn them into strokers /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif? I would like some type of injection, I know with the caddy that can get expensive though. I plan on doing it all in the truck. I am stationed right above Florida(read: MUD) but I am used to playing in Colorado(read: ROCKS & SNOW.) Haven't had time to go get my truck and bring it down here yet, so don't know how it will do with major mud. I am not planning to compete in either, so I should be able to balance it out to a happy medium. I am just trying to plan things out so I am not scrambeling to do everthing at once like I useually do with the Blazer. Should give me some time to shop around and get some bargins! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

They make stroker kits for the BBC...496 is a common example. Shawn Spickler built a wild 496 with port injection if I'm not mistaken...prolly 600 hp/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Maybe send Shawn a pm if he doesn't see this thread.

For Caddy info try Sparky87K5. He has built a few caddy's putting down 600+ lb/ft of torque. Bill has also had a few big blocks...he is a real wealth of info when it comes to motors that make incredible torque.

My vote would be a 383 with the 465/203/205...but it wasn't on your list. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Rene

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

first off if you're serious, dont buy a newer tahoe for a tow rig for that truck. Get a 3/4 tonner at least. Come awn.

8. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    My vote would be for the 502 Ram Jet/465/205/doubler.
    BB love to eat auto trannys so if you really want a auto, you might want to get a B&M built tranny or something that can take it. Good luck keeping some $$ in your pocket for food /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

9. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

unless the engine has already been changed, it should be a 350 with tbi on an 87 k5 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. coloradoblazers

[ QUOTE ]
    Good luck keeping some $$ in your pocket for food /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

[/ QUOTE ] I get BAS(an allowace for food) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    the less I spend on a tow rig, th more goes into the blazer. I get food, housing and college paid for, I already have some investments, don't drink, so all my $$$ can be well spent /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif If I could score a deal on a 502 I might go that route. I think I will stick with a stick, just more fun! I have a TBI 305 in it now, and with 39.5's and 4:10 gearing I only get 8mpg, so there shouldn't be any changes there. I have talked with the owner of MTS @ 500cid.com, and any of the eary 70's(pref. the 1970 engine) should be what I am looking for. if I want to go all out get a 76, factory FI. as long as I kept it close to stock, I shouldn't have problems getting it all to work. the only issue is mating it to a manual, I have to search that again, I think that using a BOP bellhousing was the way to go. now if I stuck w/ thw\e 245, how hard is it to mate the doubler, I know the later models need an adapter, should I get an older 465 to make things easier? /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. tRustyK5

The Caddy crank would have to be drilled for a pilot bushing/or bearing to run a standard tranny behind it.

Just one more tidbit you should know.

Rene

12. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

id go 454/400/doubler. and you could bore and stroke the 454 to a mean 468. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. tRustyK5

A 468 is just a 0.60 over 454...no stroking involved.

Rene

14. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Here is my thought...

Caddy 500 is cool, but kinda a PITA get parts for a build...

If you want all out torque, I persoannly would go with a Gen VI BBC block, bore it as needed, get a good forged stroker crank, some decent 6.385" rods, some flat top pistons and you have a MEAN short block...

The head and cam selection really depends on where and how you whant the power...Lots of torque down low in the middle, etc.

If you want a lot of torque, stick with Oval port heads (like casting #781) and get a cam designed for torque which will have a low duration and lift....

Then I would throw a NV4500 behind it with a Doubler...

Chris

15. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I read about the Merlin III big block chev... Sounds NICE! A little pricey at about 1700-1800 but the block is good to 2000hp! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif lol just food for thought.