Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking about putting in a Vortec motor in my K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BILLY RAY, Aug 2, 2002.

1. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I'am just thinking about it. Is there an aftermarket harness out there that will mate up to the Vortec motors and make the install easy to put in my 85 K5. I have a 91 stock T.B.I. motor in my truck now that was a pain because I used the 91 harness and tied it into my 85 harness it was more work than I wanted. So let me know it if you guys know of anyone and how much$$$$. THANKS /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

theres a guy down the street that has a i think a 86 or 87 chevy 4x4..that was a 6.2, and he replaced it with a 350 vortec..

Bryan

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

There is a Vortec TBI intake out there. Replace the intake w/ this one and bolt on your TBI.

4. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I want to install a factory pull out of a 98 or 99. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. Pure Insanity

98 is doable if you want to. 99 isnt really. Thats the new motor.

The problem w/ even the 98 is that there are sensors all over the truck. Trans, Tcase, axles, exhaust, brakes, New pump, ETC.

I am sure it CAN be done, buts gonna be pricey. Check w/ Painless wiring.

6. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

I think the key year to get would be 95. No OBDII, that means a whole lot less sensors to have to mess with, and it is still an actual Vortech

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

You sure '95 is a Vortec?

8. Pure Insanity

IIRC Vortec motors have been around for a while (89 maybe) but the Vortec heads that everyone wants are I think 97 and 8 only. The easiest way to ID the good heads is that they have only 4 bolts per side that are vertical. 2 in front and 2 in back. None in the middle.

9. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Vortec is 96 and later. The 95 motors are TBI and are the same thing as an 87 motor.

10. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Biggray71 confirmed want I thought was correct. I have a '95 Silverado P/U, it is not Vortec. All of our shop trucks that are '96 and later are Vortec. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. Pure Insanity

OK so I was a year off. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

Billy, honestly man don't do it. It's way more trouble than it's worth. I'm putting on in at my shop right now and i swear to god i'll never do it again. NEVER!!!!!
    You'd be better off to buy a good long block from Scoggin Dickies and buy a Multi Port FI kit to go on it.
    Of course i may just be a dumb $h!t that doesn't know his a$$h0le from his Belly Button. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

13. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Then I guess I will just do the Vortec head swap to up the horse power a little on my TBI motor. THANKS guys for all your help. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

14. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Hey Billy,
    I'm just about done with this swap, 5.7 vortec and a 4l60e tranny from a 99 tahoe into my 87 Jimmy. This is not a trivial swap but I think in the end I'll be very happy with the results. As for the wiring, yes there are a couple of companies that make harnesses for this swap for around 600 bucks but the stock harness is very easily adapted to work in an older vehicle. I haven't completed the wiring yet but I think that it's going to be one of the easier phases of this project. The truck goes to the exhaust shop this week and I sent out the computer to be reprogrammed this morning. If you have any specific ??, let me know.

Later,
    Mike