Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

thinking about putting the big block back in!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75, Nov 14, 2003.

1. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Ok, It was a timming problem that made we want to take it out..and I had to go through emmisions /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

But I am just not happy with the 350, I was thinking about selling the 396, but no one had the cash to buy it.

Now that my cherry bombs have been bashed off and these headers on the small block leak like crazy I am thinking of going back to 5 mpg /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif and then I can put my 3 inch headers, pipes and duel forties back on /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

On the plus side, I can enjoy this untill September, when it come time for emmisions, then I can either take out the cam or buy a new small block from gm /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Is it worth it? I think I will enjoy it, the blazer is down for few days and if I get the detroit in this weekend I could take the big block out of storage and get it ready... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

help convince me guys...how much do you love your bb /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

this may help level the front too, the rear dropped a few inches from wheeling /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Dude, you know you love the power the big block has. Does the small block even compare? Size DOES matter /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. supersize75

thats the stuff I want to hear!

I am just missing the smocking of the 38's and the sound of it...ahh, just what I need, another thing on my to do list..

as it is I have...

ford electiric fan...waiting to go in
    d44 cross over ready to go on...calling my name
    finish the roll cage to mount seats
    add the B&m shifer
    and buy some race seats
    sew up my soft top, all there just need a sewer

doh..lots to do
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Install the big block. Anyone can run a small block, but the big blocks are cool, powerful, reliable, and set your rig apart from the rest. I'm not putting the sbc down (I had a gutless 305 keep me moving for a lot longer than it should've lasted) but everyone smiles when they see its powered by a big block!

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd leave the small block. You've said that you really like driving your truck. Drastically increasing the gas bill isn't going to help. Not to mention that's more weight on the front axle, and you still have a D44, that's more torque to snap things, etc.

I'd definitely keep the SBC but hang onto the big block. when you get your D60 and you still want more torque, go for it!

6. supersize75

thats why I just picked up another set of spare axel shafts!

2 full sets of axel shafts
    4 spare u-joints after that /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2 spare u joints for each end.

Tim...did I mention I dont even run a front drive shaft right now "being fixed", hell I dont even have a working rear end right now /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif..it's all for looks silly /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah i would stick with the smallblock, if I ever go big block it will be after the front and rear are tubed and the body is mashed up and I have a doubler then if I still want it I will build a light aluminum headed motor and hope the weight doesn't become an issue.

8. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

No way, BigBlock all the way /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifthe extra 200 pounds is more than worth it. the power is awesome if you guys ever get a Bigblock You'll understand what i'm talking about

9. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Shawn, Do whatever you think is cool. If ya wanna swap motors knock yourself out and when it comes to emission time swap the small block back in and then back out. I mean it's not like you have sheet metal to get in the way. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Have fun and hope to meet most of y'all down that way here in a couple of weeks.

Allan