Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

thinking about running a stall converter?????????????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by UNCLE CRACKER, Feb 28, 2004.

1. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about useing a stall converter instead of a stock one. I was wondering if any of you have ran a stall converter on the trails and how do they act? I run some rocks so I was conserned about the converter not locking up soon enough. any info would be great
    Thank

2. blazin topless 75

blazin topless 75 Registered Member

How many RPM Stall?

3. UNCLE CRACKER

I was thinking of a 1500-1800 rpm stall

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i may be wrong, but im pretty sure that stock stall on TC is around 1500..

5. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have one that is a HD version that stalls at 800 over stock, has an anti-balloon plate, six mounting holes,(requires a specific flex plate) I love it. I run rocks too and have had no issues so far. It does rev up a little higher than the stock one when you are crawling over a large rock but not enough to make me complain. I got it at Idaho transmission warehouse /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. UNCLE CRACKER

the converter I have now is 300-500rpm under stock so I figured that one a little more over stock would make my motor a little more happy but I was just concerend how it would act off road with the stall

7. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

i have a 2500 stall and right now its worthless with my exhaust backed up as *(^(*%#@ i cant get over 3000 rpms in 3rd gear so 50-60 is top speed right now.... But ive had the stall in there for almost a year now and i love it offroad and on road. Nice take offs in 4 lo in the mud and trails very fun.

8. UNCLE CRACKER

does the motor rev higher when your trying to crawl over rocks?

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

A stall converter lets your motor build up higher RPM's for a harder launch. Great for racing, but don't think it'd be something I'd want in a crawler.

10. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

explain how a stall converter works
    cause i have no idea

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    the converter I have now is 300-500rpm under stock so I figured that one a little more over stock would make my motor a little more happy but I was just concerend how it would act off road with the stall

[/ QUOTE ]

It would probably overheat the transmission off road quite frequently. High stall converters generate lots of heat, and if you were doing some slow speed off road work, you could expect your transmission to get HOT, quickly.

If all you do is high speed stuff, (mud) then a stall can be beneficial. It will help you generate more momentum right off the line.

Those that don't understand how a higher-than-stock stall converter works:

Think of a torque converter as a clutch. "Stall speed" is the approximate RPM at which the clutch has been completely let out. Although you're moving before it gets to that RPM because the friction point on the clutch is much earlier than when the clutch is all the way out, the stall speed is essentially when the converter stops slipping, just like a clutch until it's completely released.

Keep in mind that when you see a converter advertised as "2500 RPM stall speed" that it is only a guideline. Torque converters respond to input torque. Put that 2500 stall behind a 502 with 500 ft lbs and it might stall at 3500 RPM. Put it behind a weak 305 and it might stall at 2000 or 2200. It's only a very general guideline.

The phrase, "stall converter" really isn't correct. Every converter has a stall speed. It is generally widely accepted to call any converter with a higher than stock stall speed a, "Stall converter" though.

Typically the appliction for this is an engine that doesn't build much torque below "X" RPM. In that case you'd want a higher stall speed so your vehicle isn't a dog taking off, otherwise it would lug on takeoff until it reached an RPM where it made good power, then it would go. So, it gives you a much stronger launch in most cases.

12. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you run an external cooler it won't overheat. Mine revs a little high going over rocks compared to stock. The stall speed is really the flash rpm. My motor is much happier with the stall. I pull trailers quite a bit and it doesn't even heat then. Just don't go crazy with the stall speed. What I think you want is 600-800 over stock.

13. UNCLE CRACKER

thanks for the info. I think I will most likley go with one that is a little higher stall than stock. like I said mine is under stock now so if I go with one that is 500 over stock I should notice a big difference