Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking about something in a 38...

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by Ddragggon, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

anyone have some suggestions on a good tread design on a 38 inch tire? I'm thinking about going with the interco swamper TSL/SX's, although I hear they're crap on the road. anyone have an opinion about these things?

what else is good out there? I'm basicaly looking for new tires that come somewhere between 35 and 38 inches, to help the sub look less like its rollin' on low profile tires. I plan to add a 6 inch body lift, and do some fender cutting to make them fit better.

I'm also planning on sidegrading to some 16 inch rims so I more easily afford tires that'll fit this pig ( most places have about a 50 dollar difference between 16.5's and 16's, and don't stock very many 16.5's)

-Rich

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Did you say a 6 inch BODY lift? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

3. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

You meant 6" suspension, right? I have a 6" suspension lift, a 2" body lift,front fender trimming, and zero rates up front to clear 38" TSL Radials. These tires are quieter than a mud terrain, I can hear them comming up behind me on the freeway. I've talked to others with Super Swampers say you can't beat their tread life or their highway hanling when compared to other Super Swampers. I think there is a bigger selection of tires for 16.5's. You can see a pic of my Sub on the 38's and only 6" of suspension lift on the "post your pics here" post.

4. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I had some bias Swamper 38x12.50x16.5 tires that lasted 45,000 miles. They got noisy when they wore down a bit...but it's a cool sound that sounds like an old WWII P-51 Mustang fighter plane!! Now, the 42" Swampers that replaced the 38s have about 18,000 miles on them and still have more than 50% tread remaining. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

i've said this before, but my dad runs them (38.5 x 14.5 -16.5 tsl/sx's) on his 1 ton dodge. he loves them and he does mostly (go figure) road miles. I'am going to get a set real soon , but i'am trying to talk myself into 42's but i know they'll be to difficult to make legal.. Go with the SX's there great on and off road...

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i love my 36x12.50 TSLs! they're bias ply and they're loud but they're cool. in the winter it's annoying with the flat spots but other than that they're great. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

oops, I meant spring lift.

its all moot now, since I was laid off yesterday, but I thank everyone for the suggestions.

-Rich