Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking about the Atlas 5.0:1

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Oct 30, 2006.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I have been really thinking about getting the Atlas 5:1. I will be running 42's with 4.56 gears so I think this will be a good mix. The only downer is that will be my only low gear unless I want to spend the extra $500 for the 4 speed case. What are yall's thoughts on the Atlas?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Get a Stak Monster box. Marv Springer has one he is installing in his brothers Jeep and when I saw it I was impressed. It was sitting on the garage floor right next to his Atlas and the Stak was nicer in my opinion. He might be able to shed some more "real" thoughts on this but if it was my money I would be looking at the Stak or possibly a NWF Blackbox or Klune V.

Harley

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'd keep a middle low range despite the cost. If you want I'll run the numbers and see what kinda wheelspeed you're gonna get at a certain RPM with the case but I'd be willing to bet it might be a little too low for certain situations.

4. Hossbaby50

Yep, a 2ish:1 gear is a great gear to have for tooling around the trails with. All those doubler guys I run with use there 2lo in the 203 all the time on the trail to cruise around with.

That 2:1 is also a great way to make your SBC act like a BBC when you need to get a little nasty with the skinny pedal.:D

Harley

5. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

That's what I was thinking, I will need the 2:0 to 1, The Atlas seems to be a good choice if you want to go with the 4 speed, they offer 2 sets of gear ratios one with a 10.1!!

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I was in the same boat about wanting a gear for wheel speed. Instead of spending the extra coin/weight on the stak 3 spd. I installed a manual valve body in my 700. So with it in second gear and the stak in low (5.44) it gives me good speed.

7. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

I always wondered about the durability of some of these crawler box's in fullsize rigs with healthy v8's . I've thought of going with the Klune V Goliath installed between my sm465 and np205 but it's $1500 and than you have the adapters and that's more $$$$ . I would go with a atlas 4 speed case but with a sm465 you would still have a pretty short front drive shaft . The other Klune v case is for the smaller rigs + it has more gearing options BUT I don't think it would put up with the abuse in a 7000 lb rig .

8. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

There is no better T-case IMO. The 4 speed is The way to go. The doubler is great if you have both cases on hand and cant afford the atlas But you will have length and weight issues. The crawl boxes are kool but they are not twin sticks ( no front digs).. I would put the atlas2 and 4 speed up against any other T-case.

9. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

Still, compared to the $$$ of the other 4-speed cases like the Atlas, Stak, etc. I think a Klune-V Goliath in front of a 205 is a comparatively inexpensive and super-strong way to go. Especially since you already have the 205 :waytogo:

Of course, a 203-205 doubler is even cheaper, although the low-low isn't quite as deep as a Klune-V-205 combo... :D

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

which is best for you depends on your app. Personally, I want more length in my drivetrain... helps with front drive shaft angle. You can 2-lo front-wheel only all day long with a regular old doubler. If you want more speeds, 3:1 the 203 or the 205. 1:1, 2:1, 3:1, 6:1. Yup, 4 speeds.

j

11. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

i'm gathering parts now for a nv4500/np203/lo max 205(3to1) with my 4.10 axels. what would my final crawl ratio be? sorry about the hijack.

12. Hossbaby50

multiply

4.10x 2x 3x 1st gear in tranny & you get the answer.

Harley

13. blazin_blazer

3 to1

you can get a 3 to 1 gearset for the np 203 also? so i could go 3 to 1 with the 203 and the 3 to 1 with the lo max 205 case? hmm with 4.10 axels and a nv4500 what kind of crawl are we then talking about, again sorry for the hijack, but its along the same lines

14. blazin_blazer

not sure what 1st gear is in the nv4500! some1 tell me that and i can figure.

15. Hossbaby50

There are 2 different first gears in a NV4500. 5.6 & 6.3 if I remember correctly. They is/was a 3:1 for the 203 made by Wagoneer Machine which is now ATOR if I remember correctly. The problem with doing a 3:1 & 3:1 is you are missing a gear now. 1:1, 3:1, 3:1, 9:1. Personally I think that the 3:1 gear in one case is more then enough gear for most anything.

Harley

16. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I have the Atlas II 4.3. My only hesitation would be the short front driveshaft especially with 42s which is what I'm running. I have the 6" BDS front springs on the D60. I have already busted a HAD 1350 CV and now working on a superflex joint that seems to handle the extreme angle,
    but there is a lot of vibration...

I got the option to clock the Atlas flat and have it clocked as low as it will go.

[​IMG]

17. Chaddy

It makes the rear angle worse. And if your into it that far then you should have a high pinion front end for angle. There is more than 1 reason Atlas is the #1 T-case for competition.

18. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Are you a salesman or something? There were no other aftermarket cases like it until the Stak...THAT'S why it's #1.

19. Chaddy

No Im not a salesman. Being in the rockcrawling circut around here for quite a few years I have seen just about everything and I know what works well and what just gets by. Everyone I know running the other options all go back to wanting an atlas. Get what you want If you think there is something better. I just dont think there is.

DPI: You need a high pinion front end.

There, no more from me about the t-case:rolleyes:

20. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Yeah, but I would prefer less lift...