Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking about TPI

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillyBob, May 4, 2000.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

My friend told me about TPI a few days ago. Now, I can get rid of my TBI and put TPI on my 87 K5, right? But what adjustments do I have to make? Also, what cars/trucks came with TPI? Maybe I can find a junked camaro or something with a good engine and salvage the TPI. It'll probably be a bit of work under the hood, but I heard that TPI is defiantely the way for an EFI K-5 to go.
    -Bill

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Coming from a guy who went from a Q-Jet carb (with Edelbrock Performer Manifold and a tricked out HEI) to TPI, I say DO IT. Best drivability and improvement I could even imagine. Seems the runner length and electronics/injection makes the low end much stronger (torquier) and my mileage went up from 9-10 to 14 around town. The basics are the same, get the complete donor boneyard parts (computer, all the hard parts, sensors) and it basically bolts on. Probably easier for your rig than mine was, since you already have a computer location. I used a Painless Wiring harness for the conversion, made it pretty easy. I have ZERO complaints or regrets. Plus it's pretty cool to have an old rig (mine's a 79) that not only looks great but when you pop the hood, mouths drop......

Oops, almost forgot, you can get the systems in total off IROCS, Z-28's, Impala SS's (good luck finding one of them!), probably the V-8 Caprices, and of course Corvettes.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

3. 88Jimmy

88Jimmy 1/2 ton status

4. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

Hey BlazzinOR. I have a 406 too (carbed for now). Although I´m going to buy a lot of stuff before lookin´ at TPI I was wondering if a stock TPI unit from a 350 can handle a 406 ? A bigger engine would want more air and fuel, right? Did you do something with the computer...or PROM...or "chip"..or whatever those parts are called [​IMG]?

Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Andreas, we used the computer with no modifications and the injectors off that 350 motor. Probably if I revved it over 4500 or so it might starve, not sure, since I don't run it like that, nor need to with the torque that thing has. There is a lot of information available including books that detail it out, guess even if you had to change injectors, it would be easy enough, they are available. Good luck.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]