Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

thinking of a truck build

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tiger9297, Jun 3, 2005.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I tow alot with my K5. Everything from a single axle 4 wheeler trailer to a 27 ft. camper. Power is not really a problem (I can cruise at 65 mph) and the camper has trailer brakes so stopping is not really a problem either. BUT, I would like to have MORE power than I need. I'd like to be able to cruise about 70-75 without feeling like I'm having to push the truck too hard. Also, I'd like to have the confidence that it won't get "squirly" on me at that speed (short wheelbase kinda does that). So I've been thinking of the truck I'd like to have. Tell me what you think: 73-91 body style 3/4 ton or 1 ton 4x4 with the frame cut down and short bed on it. Also would like it to be a dually. Auto tranny with diesel. I think I'd like something more than a 6.2 or 6.5. I'm no diesel expert but just seems that they never really were thought of very well. My dad used to have some bob trucks w/ Cat diesels and had one with a huge GM V8 diesel (don't remember what it was). Would these engines work? Finally, I'd redo the interior so I'd have a nice plush ride so I could hook up the camper and take my wife and little girl (due date is Oct. 18) on a long road trip and be comfy. I think over time I could probably find all this stuff in the junk yard and the over all cost wouldn't be too bad. Input/Opinions.

2. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

A few days ago, someone brought up a point to me that really hit home... the only really good deisels are straight engines... the V8 stuff doesn't have nearly the same power and torque as a straight engine. The only problem with that, is those engines weigh a LOT more than the v8 engines of the same displacement.

The up side of any deisel is better fuel economy and towing ability... you will be happy with either a 6.2 or 6.5, but the 6.5 is nearing the limit for the D60 you'll need in the front end to hold it up. You could always do a Rockwell swap, but that would be expensive. As for the dually idea, I've been looking into that myself, though I haven't found any really good reasons to convert a blazer to a dually due to the short wheel base and lack of need for it. If I were building a tow rig, I'd start with a crew or quad cab pickup, goosneck or fifth wheel setup and dually deisel... but that's just me. The other option of course is a burb.

3. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I definitely don't want a burb. I like them, but one problem with my K5 (other than towing w/ a short w/b) is the inability to throw junk in the back like firewood, gas cans, etc. I definitely want a truck. So are you saying that the weight of the 6.5 is about all the springs on the front of a 3/4 or 1 ton would hold? What about an inline six out of a completely different vehicle? I saw something in a magazine just last week saying that one of the easiest swaps was a certain model Cummins diesel. Can't remember the exact engine model. How would this work with a/c and all b/c in Mississippi when it gets to 98* with 98% humidity you better have an a/c or you will be miserable. I would definitely want this to be a nice truck.

4. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I believe you can swap in a 6BT or 4BT deisel... I don't know the specs on the 6BT, but the 4BT makes like 90hp and 180ft lbs of torque, so it's not really all that great for our 6,000lb trucks... Still, they are designed to pull, and you will definitely gain mileage by doing the swap... There is a walkthrough or tech article on one of the swaps...

When I said you'd be at the limit for the D60, I didn't mean the springs, I meant the axle itself... a 6.5 is a heavy beast...

Just guessing, but the 6BT is pretty heavy too, but you'll make much more power... you can even turbo both deisels and chip them for more power... I think the 6BT is dropping like 180hp and 400+ftlbs...

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i agree with the last part... not sure about the second though. Desiel used to be the cheapest "gas" you could buy at the pump... now it costs more than premium bling bling unleaded. I'd never do a desiel swap on a rig based on saving gas money... who knows, maybe desiel will be $3 a gallon next year while gas is $2.

j

6. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Well I as think on this truck build I agree that putting in a 454 would be easier than swapping in a diesel, especially a diesel from a different application. However, I have heard people on this site say that even a 454 cannot compare with a diesel (I'm assuming they were talking 6.2 or 6.5) when towing. BTW I'm probably not getting but about 8 mpg now when I tow my camper so I don't think a 454 would be that much worse. I would just rather have a diesel cuz it's a diesel. :D