Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

thinking of an s10 v8 swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, May 3, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

im sure this has been covered many times but i`m wondering about swapping a v8 into an s10 blazer....does it matter if its 2 or 4wd?????......lately ive been running into more and more problems with my truck...now i have to control the rot.....maybe you guys can change my mind....i want to put in a 305 or 350 in it, drop it a little and put some decent rims, cowl ram air hood, corvette style roll pan, and a few others.....should i do it or just keep my blazer and start to wheel or would an s10 v 8 swap be cheaper????....what would you do????....keep the blazer because of the fun i could have wheelin???would either be cheaper????let me hear your comments please!!...should i just keep my blazer and keep on fixin it???? might be movin to NH soon so might get a chance to wheel

2. NEK5

maybe i just think too much

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

If you want to start with a really stock rust-free K5, and swap your performance parts over to that, somebody in Oklahoma (famous for rust-free vehicles) has a really nice-looking '84 Silverado for sale in the classifieds:

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172557

4. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

What year S10? Buy the book from JTR and read it, multiple times. Its a pretty invoved swap and you need a same year or newer motor for the swap to be legal. I'd say stick with the blazer. If you buy another vehicles its going to start rusting anyway because of your location so i say start getting good at rust repair.

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Down here in south texas mexicans love to drop v8's into slammed s10's so it is totaly do-able. They are usually prety well thought out and executed rides, although the occasionaly kludged together piece of **** is deffinately seen.

Do it.

6. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

I did my '91. 350 from a '79 1 Ton.

7. NEK5

well keep in mind im only 17, a junior in highschool with a 150-200 per week paycheck so its a little limited....so with that info should i even consider it???i think i would have more fun in the blazer

8. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

Buy the book, read it and then decide. 4wd > 2wd

9. bigred81

bigred81 1/2 ton status

I am in college and still find time to work out in the garage on the weekends after work. I just finished my second s-10 V8 swap a few weeks ago. This time I used a police caprice 350 with the stock TBI fuel system and it will get. Find your self a 1992-1995 s-10 with a 4.3 and it is almost a direct swap with the newer s-10's. The 4 wd is a little harder because of the oil pan hitting the front diff so you either make a pan or buy the conversion pan which cost a small fortune. GO FOR it will be an experience you will never forget and it is fun when people think it is a stock 4.3 truck till you open the hood to see wall to wall motor. They ask who did the swap and you tell them you did it by yourself with your own two hands and many late nights. Have fun if you do it.

bigred81

10. Hermy13

Hermy13 Registered Member

do something off the shelf put a bbc in the s10 can u say sleeper?

11. NEK5

OK......few questions.....i`ve already sunk a few grand into the blazer so my question is do you think i put too much in it to just use it as a wheelin/winter rig????...theres a possibility i might be moving with a friends family to NH so more places to wheel.....please let me know your opinions....

also how much does the whole swap cost....guesstimate....i might be able to widdle a 305 built a little bit from my buddy for cheap so go from there....also anyone have any pics of there s10 v8s....anyone drop them?

12. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Look in the s10 forums here, and google it. Its a prety damn common swap so I imagine there is plenty of info out there.

13. NEK5

what do you mean its almost a direct swap with the newer s10s???what year s10 doesnt have emisions?

14. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Can u say steering column into the back of the drivers side head?:haha:

15. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

here are all the pics we took on our swap.
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v299/big83chevy4x4/s10 swap/

get the manual, cost me $31.45 on ebay shipped. well worth it if your considering a swap. supprisingly the easiest part is putting the motor in, the hard part is getting everything else hooked up to it.

16. bigred81

bigred81 1/2 ton status

It is an almost drop in because on some you have to buy or make your own motor mounts in my 96 s-10 it dropped directly in by using the stock 4.3 mounts, the radiator is the same, and I added two more wires for the fuel injectors because I used the stock vortec fuel injection. It meets emmissions perfectly because it is all stock with the exception of two more cylinders. That is why I said use a 1992-1995 because they are old enough that poeple will get rid of them cheap and those models used TBI so it should meet emissions if you use the stock TBI fuel system. With it being a 4.3 truck the wiring harness is the same all you have to use is the injectors for a 350 and a computer that has the same service number as the 4.3 computer so all you have to do is swap the chips. Use big83chevy4X4 advise get the book read and learn. That book will answer a lot of questions and make it painless. I got a friend that just got that book I wish I had it when I did my first swap it was all trail and error. Feel free to ask questions. Cost it all depends on what year model of s-10 you have because there have been changes over the years that have made this swap easier. The best year models 1990-1995. Have fun

bigred81

17. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

id keep the blazer.

i had a 92 reg cab shortbed 2wd with a mild 350 and a th350 trans, theyre fun to drive but not really practical in new england if its your only vehicle. i had to drive it once when there was just a dusting of snow on the ground, cuz i blew the motor in my stepside and i couldnt go anywhere.

ive got another 92 reg cab shortbed 2wd with a 2.8/t5 thats my dd right now but im putting a 355 in it with in a few weeks. but i also have my 86 stepside to drive on crappy/snowy days.

or you could do the 4wd swap and have the best of both worlds, 4wd and plenty of power to smoke the tires

18. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

19. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

seen it done ONCE. required cutting nearly all of the top of the frame for clearance, and the stock steering column was a no go, had to use a race car style tube column to get it to clear the engine.

20. NEK5

i saw a s10 pick up with a 427 in when i went the car show on sunday......i think i might just stick with my truck and just keep driving it, but if i move to NH i might consider getting a smaller 4 or 6 cyl DD to save on gas.....

BTW Banshee wanna go wheeling???