Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking of buying 85 6.2L Suburban w/52K miles- ???'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kayadad, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Kayadad

Kayadad Guest

I am going to look at this suburban tomorrow, well today actually, and want to know if I should expect any problems on a diesel truck that is 20 years old but really low miles? Here is the link http://www.carsystems.net/detail.cfm?ID=12940

I will check for blow-by through the oil cap and remove the radiator cap and check for small bubbles on start up (Recommendations from www.thedieselplace.com thread). I will also check out the frame around the steering.

Anything else?

If everything is cool, I am going to make an offer. How much would be paying too much?

2. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Sep 1, 2005
    Just because it's low miles, doesn't mean it's all good. I'm not saying it's bad either. Low miles certainly doesn't hurt. I bought a 90 V3500 with only 60K on the clock (454 though, not diesel) and i've replaced many gaskets, belts and common wear items. There were also a lot of vacuum leaks that contributed to rough running.

I may be wrong on this, but I didn't think that an overdrive trans was avaliable in 85. I'm no expert. Maybe someone will chime in here that knows. Could be swapped in. Also, you may want to get a carfax report just to make sure it really is only 52K miles and not 152K. Just because. Overall it sounds like a sweet ride. I'd like to see some pics.

My two cents.

BTW, welcome to the forum. :)
  3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

Jan 29, 2004
    pretty sure 700r4 was there in 85, not 100% tho. price does seems a little high. maybe no more than 4,000 if nothing is wrong and everything works and you're in love with it.
  4. maynardogle

maynardogle 1/2 ton status

Mar 7, 2005
    The real issue on a Suburban body is rust. Everything else is easy to fix. Look for rust around glass and at the A piller welds. On a 6.2 diesel with that few miles and that many years, I would wonder if oil and coolant changes were regular. Only 3,00 miles per year? Where has this thing been. Parts on a diesel are about half again more expensive than on a 350 or 454 gas motor. I wouldn't pay over 5 grand for it unless they threw in an engine and drive train warranty.
  5. Kayadad

Kayadad Guest

The truck honestly looked like it had 52K miles X 5. I did not even start it. It was thrashed, it looked like a farm truck.

I did go look at a '89 3/4 ton 6.2L. It was clean and ran great. Had a brand new engine put in 80K miles ago. Tranny rebuild was 23K ago. Plus a whole lot more, with all recipts for the last 9 years. I think I will put an offer on it. I checked for blow-by and if the coolent system seemed pressurized on start-up. Everything looked great. They have dropped their asking price from $6500 down to $5000. I planning on offering $4500-4000.