Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking of buying a Dodge (for a towrig duh!)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by juanblzer, May 8, 2006.

1. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I'm going to get one: I want it to be able to tow my travel trailer and my blzer while on a flatbed goosneck trailer (35ft+).

Things I know I want:
    a 4x4
    an extended cab
    a cummins!
    I test drove an extended cab 4x4 2002 with a Cummins and an Auto. It was sweet.

Things I don't know?
    What years and setups are the hot ticket?
    Can I get an older one (payments would be a lot cheaper)?
    Shortbed?
    Longbed?
    Dually?
    Oh diesel fans... please give me your knowledge.

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I am no deisel expert, but I do own an 05' Cummins, ext cab, 4x4. I tow my K5 around with it and let me tell you there is no problem hauling that thing at 75 MPH up any grade. She just wants more punishment:D

[​IMG]

Check out Towrig.com CK5 sister site. Lot's of gurus over there:wink1:

4. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Great timing for this thread. :bow:

I'm in the exact same boat, looking for a Dodge for towing also but for me it's gotta be a quad cab.

I'll be watching this one, come on guys - give us the goods.

5. zero cool

zero cool 1/2 ton status

What do they call all that crap they bolt to the Cummins engine?

A Dodge. :D

I had a Dodge diesel for a while. While the drivetrain was great, the rest of the truck was a turdbox from hell. You couldn't pay me to buy another one no matter how good Cummins makes the engine.

6. FWP

FWP CRS

What, did you just hit the lottery or what? :haha:

Seriously though, what's your budget, and how fast do you want to go?

7. Ten_Bucks

Ten_Bucks 1/2 ton status Premium Member

8. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Do some serious reading on the "diesel" web sites and you will find more opinions than you ever cared to get.

I have an 02 4x4 2500 with the High-Output engine with the six spd tranny and I love it . I am not a Dodge fan but I do love the drivetrain in my model year truck.
    With the exception of constant injector pump issues it has been a great truck. All late model diesel trucks do a fine job of towing you just need to dial in your style of driving and get the power combo to match.

Things to look out for on 2002 on down Dodge diesel trucks are :
    Lift pump failure
    Injector pump problems
    auto tranny issues
    leaking high mount brake light on back of cab ( allows rain water to seep into the cab and soak the carpet ).
    NVG-4500 O.D. retaining nut backing off on trucks that have towed heavily at too low of RPM's for extended periods.

Good luck and enjoy what ever you get !

Tom

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Call rob, he is a dodge guru. The jist I have from him and harley (guru in training) is there is a bad block number to watch out for. The autos suck balls and can't hold themselves together. The 12V is cheaper to power mod but the 24V responds better to the mods.

10. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

One of my co-workers just traded in his 4 month old Power Wagon on a new Dually he loves the cummins over the Hemi and the mileage is better too.Dont understand why they didnt offer the cummings in the Power Wagon.

11. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

Dang! I really wanted an auto too. I don't really care about all that performance jazz. I just want a reliable towrig that can tow at great speeds and still last.
    I didn't win the lottery... I just got divorced and I am making seriously double what I was making. I don't have any bills other than rent (no cell phone, or cable bill) and I need do some good to my credit.
    I can finance around 19K but I wouldnt mind staying around 11k.:D I wouldnt mind an older body style dodge. I just want it to last and be reliable and tow like a mother:saweet:

12. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I wouldn't touch a used auto in a diesel. Hell, I wouldn't consider an auto in a new diesel. I think you will be in for trouble and plenty more money in the future if you go the auto route on a used diesel.

13. dhilgenberg

dhilgenberg Registered Member

What are you on? A dodge for pulling you gots to be crazy sure the cummins is good but the rest is a box of poop everything will fall apart i guarantee plus if you want to pull either plan on getting about two transes a year or get a chevy or ford conversion kit or just stop waisting time and look at a p-stroke or duramax not to be a dick but just lookin out for a fellow k5er

14. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

And that has been addressed. D-max are some coin. There are a lot more dodges available with the same kick ass drivetrain from 93 up.

15. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

I read over on pirate ats is doing some good things for the dodge tranny.

16. Kyle Strong

Kyle Strong 1/2 ton status

Maybe I haven't towed enough with my ram (99, auto, v10, not a diesel I know:rolleyes: ), but it's held up great. Even the rest of the crap on it. Except for a leaking a/c condenser and antifreeze mysteriously disappearing...and the dash that costs $800 to replace is cracked.:o Don't mean it to sound like it's falling apart, 'cause it isn't. Just been used. I love the truck. Not the gas mileage though:angry1:

17. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

First off, it's funny how people that don't own Dodges post up that they think they are junk. I'll let you weed through the posts.;)

My '01 Ram and my dad's '02 Ram, both with Cummins motors, have been better trucks inside and out from the back bumper to the front headlights than any of our chevies we do still have and have had.:wink1:

For 11K you are in the 12v range. I would highly reccommend you get financed for that 19k so you can step up to a better 24v electronic truck. Granted, the P7100 P series 12v trucks are great for modifying and respond like crazy to more air and fuel, but the 24v VP44 trucks are more modern and user friendly, which sounds like what you are after.

For one, the stock autos are not junk at all. (there again, useless dribble from what people have heard through the grape vine). When you keep a 47RH or 47RE serviced up and know how to drive one, they usually last a very long time and live happy lives. If you keep the truck at stock power, keep it out of OD when in town, service it once a year, and don't pull ungodly huge loads with it one should be fine.

My Ram is an auto truck and my dad's has a 6 spd. In town my auto is prefered hands down. Racing, autos are always a lot faster than manuals since the turbo only spools once with an auto. The only spot his manual has an edge is towing, and it's a marginal edge. Although it's not so marginal if we are towing heavy. For average loads I can pull hills in OD as he does and I can actually accelerate better loaded in town. I have a fresh auto with a Suncoast valve body and Axiom converter. Basically a very fancy shift kit and a much needed, much tighter aftermarket converter. Diesel autos regardless of brand live or die by hydraulic PSI, heat, and a tight converter that can lay that torque to the ground. A modified auto is the cat's meow.

As for the best years,
    1993 was the best year for the 1st gens, but it's still inferior to the 1994 completely redesigned 2nd generation.

The two hot years for the 2nd gens are the 1998.0 and 2001.5. The early 1998 is a 24v truck except still had the 12v motor. You get the better 24v truck with the updated interior, mirrors, among other things, yet still have the more wild power friendly 12v engine.

2001.5 is the best 24v truck....
    -higher output than th year before,
    -rear disk brakes over early 2001 models that had drums
    -all the vanity and sound deadning equipment on fully loaded trucks. Some of this stuff for some reason is missing from 2002 models.

3rd gen trucks (2003-current) are likely way out of your price range, as 2001-2002 2nd gens are probably too.

Here is my 2001.5. 355HP/810ft lbs.:D
    [​IMG]
    Dad's, 310HP/700ft lbs
    [​IMG]

18. zero cool

zero cool 1/2 ton status

I had one. I'll say except for the drivetrain, the thing was a turd box. All of the following problems occurred within the first three years: Squeaks and rattles I heard over the engine. The seat fabric tore out at the seams. The drivers seat would jam in position. The premium sound system had speakers going in and out. The handle on the adjustable cupholder broke. Power window switches didn't work. Multiple mirrors fell off. Yes. The glass fell off. It had excessive rust and I live in a state that doesn't salt the roads. I had to take the driver's door off (because of something I did) and when I just slapped it back on without really aligning it, it had better gap tolerance than when it came from the factory.

You couldn't pay me to by another craptastic Dodge. Ever.

So, as long as you don't actually use your truck as a truck to tow rated loads, the transmission holds up fine?

:rolleyes:

19. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

sorry about your bad luck, but remember, there is a Chevy or a Ford guy out there that has had just as many, if not more problems than you did. You will always find people that had bad luck with any brand of anything ever produced.

No, apparently you didn't read my post. As long as you don't beat on the truck and don't tow ungodly huge loads all the time, meaning loads way heavier than max GCWR.

Keep it out of OD in town so it shifts less, don't tow stupid weight, and have the oil changed once a year. Wow, that sounds extremely difficult and completely hindering the rest of the vehicle..... That pretty much goes for any auto made by any manufacturer anyway.....:deal:

20. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Hey Juan here is something else to think about too. I have an 2003 2500 with the Hemi and absoloutely love it. I don't always tow constantly with mine, but I can throw the K5 on the flat bed trailer and the Hemi will pull grades all day long. Diesel insn't necessarily the most cost effective to purchase either, but you will have to figure that out on your own. I know that I really wanted the diesel badly but in the long run it would have cost me more $$$ than my Hemi did. I haven't had ANY problems with my Dodge either.