Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking of buying a Futon

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The couch in the livingroom is gettong pretty worn. I've been sleeping on it for quite a while. It's lumpy. Anyways, I'm thinking of one of those Futon things that the back folds down into a bed. Anyone have one ?? How are they for sleeping on ??

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

From my experience, they suck. Hard. If you go spendy they may do the trick but they're meant for where they came from, Japan. Not flying leaping RJ's from SD.

If you lay the mattress out on the floor it's not bad, but otherwise it's kinf of uncofortable.

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

futons bite the butthole to sleep on, i have one in my living room i bought from wallyworld
    190 bucks
    2 years in has some wicked bends in it and is not comfortable anymore

4. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

We went the expensive route with our futon. Paid about 500 for it after getting a good mattress , upgraged cover and the frame. Its held up pretty good, and we both like it. The cover was a wise investment with having little kids that are garaunteed to make a mess. I would have bought an expensive sectional couch but couldnt fit it. I also couldnt find a half way decent couch for about the same price. We had already went through 2 hand me down couches so we wanted something that would be nice. So we went with a nice looking futon and some papasan chairs. :D

5. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

It's all about the mattress. The frame has little to do with it, metal...wood...doesn't matter. I had a cheap Wal-Mart futon with the cheap Wal-Mart mattress. Was fine to begin with, but it got compressed thin (read uncomfortable) in no time. Lived with it for a while. Then I bought an 8" thick mattress from a discount futon place... suddenly comfortable as hell. I now have a traditional couch, but purely for aesthetic reasons. I wouldn't hesitate to sleep on a futon (with a thick mattress). The 8" mattress cost $115. The Walmart futon was $150 when it was new with the crappy mattress.

6. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

i have one. It is made from wood and i also bought the nice mattress for it. Worked so well my first kid was concieved on it. 11 years ago. LOL... Still have it to this day. And is comfortable.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Did a little lookie-louing today at a few stores. Conlin's Furniture in Rapid City has a very nice futon, but we're talking $650.00 for it. 9" matress with the inner coils, very very compfy. The frame is a cool looking wood. Looks like old time log furniture. Only problem, it's a light wood, where everything in the living room is a dark wood. I seen Futons from $100.00 to $650.00. I'm deffently getting the thick matress. Just need too find the frame that will somewhat match the other furniture in the livingroom.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Ordered a Futon today. [​IMG] (I ordered the one with the wood ends and metal frame with the lite tan almost white mattress.) It'll be a couple of weeks till they get it in, but it's a 7" inner spring mattress. It'll do for now. $379.00. What do y'all think ??

9. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I have that one, but my matress isn't quite as good... it's actually pretty comfortable still so far, I've been using it since the first week or so of January...

Just be careful when You're attaching the frame support thingers to the wood ends, I split one into a few pieces when I over-tightened a bolt... Good thing I got it at Wal Mart

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I bought from a local furniture store (Fisher's Furniture) and they will assemble it when they deliver it. That way, if they mess anything up, they replace it at thier cost. Walmart had something simular for 2 bills, but this one has a sturdier frame, and a much better mattress then the one at Walmart.

11. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i think i like what looks to be a race car type deal to the back and to the right more...:D nice buy though, looks good

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Had too get a frame that would somewhat match the livingroom. I have darker wood furniture mostly, so matching that was a concern. I also got the best Futon mattress they had. It'll do me for a while. I'd like too get a 9 to 11 inch inner spring mattress by fall. The one I really like (At a different store) is like $499.00

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Should have my Futon monday afternoon. Only took a little over a month.

14. gauder

gauder Banned

Great, just one more thing you have to move eh?

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Yeah, but they'll haul away the heavy arse old sofa that's currently in my livingroom. The Futon is lite, and will be way easier too move the the old couch.

16. gauder

gauder Banned

Good trade then.

17. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My problem with sleeping on couches/futons is that they always seem to be too short.

18. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

before i read further THEY SUCK!!!!!:D ok they are not that comfortable.they are just how you described your sack now.:laugh:

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Have you sat on the new ones lately ?? The 11" innerspring matress is better then most peoples beds.