Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

thinking of buying a generator wanting some input

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bad_bo_ti, Nov 5, 2003.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

looking at getting like a 5500 watt or little bigger generator. wanting to know what all are good brands and looking for a cheap price one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif thanks, chris

2. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

I bought a coleman/ 10hp engine 5500W $468 at Sam's.

3. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

i would say honda....cause at our hunting camp we have a honda that runs most of the day....for almost 2 months strait....it usually gets started around 6ish am...then runs till the wee hours of the nght sometimes if we are partying..lol....its quiet and doesnt use alot of fuel and very little oil...i think youll find with a briggs type of engine it uses alot more oil and fuel than a honda..... ohh and the honda is very quiet compared to the other types we have used over the years......

4. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

5. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

At work we have two Onan 7000W generators on a mobile lab. Of course the price jumps considerably. We have a Honda at work also something like 5000W it is alot quiter than my coleman. Of course during the past hurricane I plugged into my neighbors Hobard welding unit, 8000W and very loud. Another quite one is porter cables 4000W w/ a Honda engine.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

How are you planning to use it? A lot of those generators do not have sine wave correction. No biggy for motors or lights but not great for electronics like TV's and computers.

Honda builds some of the best generators on the market. The EU2000 is a great small generator and one of the quetest if not tthe quietest on the market. only weighs like 26lb. Yep only 2,000 watts but that's enough to run a camper as long as you don't run the A/C.

7. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

GRIM YOU ARE BACK----------------- GOOD TO SEE YOU---- I WILL GO FIND THE I AM BACK POST /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

thinking of buying a generator wanting some input?

Well I have more questions for you what do you plan to do with it? will you need it a lot –ie spend some extra money for a good one. Or just some thing to use 3 times a summer? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I like the Hondas. They are quiet. And well built.
    I hate it when I am out camping and someone fires up one of those El Cheapo generators. They make enough noise to wake the dead. Hard to enjoy a nice dinner outdoors with a generator roaring in the next camp /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Usually a little corn syrup in their tank quiets them down pretty good. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I'll go against the grain....got a 10HP briggs 5500watt, was cheaper than the honda, its a briggs, and really isn't that loud, was quite an investment regardless and I keep it well maintained, we use it at our hunting lease and all around general mobile electric uses, especially with our popup camper....I think on avg 5 gallons of gas will run our camper with the A/c full blast around 15hrs straight

10. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

well my general use is for out at my pole barn, i dont have electricity out there and dont want to pay hi cost of getting service (but i might look into that more), i plan on running fluorescent lights, recepticals for power tools, and the reason for a 5500 watt or bigger is to run my 220 welder it draws 20 amps, but i dont plan on using the welder around the clock. anyone have any comments about the "generac" brand of generators? thanks, chris

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifsounds like you'll need a diesel gernerator on a trailer for all that.... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

12. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

no not really a 5500 watt is the lowest i can go on some brands. i am not going to be out there everyday either and not running lights and that 24/7 either.

13. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Just me, but I'd look into surplus Military generators for something like that. They can be found relatively cheap and will more than meet the needs your describing.

14. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

wheres the best place to look for these? thanks, chris

15. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Well the first place i'd look is Colemans
    I believe I saw several different ones there, small ones up to huge ones. They usually have a ton of stuff and can get most anything you want too.

16. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have a couple of Generac's. A 5500 and a 6500. I love them both. Just as good as a Honda genset IMO. Starts the 1st pull everytime and has a low oil shutdown. Also has a idle down feature for when you are running power tools on and off and the like. Also have full pressure lubrication and an oil filter.

Mind you, there are different levels of quality on the generac sets. Some have a briggs or techumseh. Mine have generac engines. The latter being the better.

Nothing but good comments from me on them.

John

17. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

thanks for the imput, i have seen a couple good deals on ebay on the generac brands and noticed that they do compare them to the honda's. how often do you use yours. thanks, chris

18. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have used both of them on a daily basis for a long time (8-10 hours/day). Lately not as much.. With the auto-idle its great. I do want to emphasize that I do take care of my equipment. I usually keep them real clean and lubed, etc... (not saying you wouldn't..) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The last great test of the 6500W one was when Hurricane Isabel came through. I had it hooked up to my transfer switch at home for 13 days straight.

It ran 14-16 hours a day non-stop mostly at full-load the whole time. (Flame suit on here)... I filled it with it running so it never had a break. I did use a real big funnel and had someone ready with an extinguisher.

I changed the oil every 3 days during that long outage just because of the full load running all that time. I used synthetic also for that reason.

One last thing I would emphasize is to use STA-BIL or something similar when it doesnt get used for a while. Best 5 bucks spent. Keeps the fuel fresh and always makes for an easy start the next time you NEED it.

John

19. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I know of a 35kw Generac that's going to need a home eventually... I think it's in the 5 figure price range though... But yeehaw I'd love to have that puppy on a slab in my yard...