Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking of buying a Quad...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by m1ndless, Mar 26, 2007.

1. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I am thinking about buying a quad, I have rode them lots of time, but don't know alot about buying them.

I found alot in my price range (~$2k-$2.5k) with 250cc engines, are those pretty slow, or decently fast? I only need to go like 30-50ish, but I want power if I go to the dunes and such.

I am mainly going to be doing trail riding and such, maybe take it down to the dunes once or twice a year.

Should I keep searching and try to find something with a bigger engine, or is 250cc's enough??

Thanks in advance.

EDIT - I did find one with a 350cc...
    http://adcache.atvtraderonline.com/5/9/4/87903994.htm

Is that a good price? Good Quad?

2. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

How big are you? Will anyone be riding w/you?

3. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

A buddy of mine has a couple 300cc Kawasaki Lakotas. They're not wicked fast, but I weigh about 170 and they'll run 45ish.

Another friend has a Yamaha Warrior 350, and that thing hauls ass. Plenty of low-end, and I think it'll do about 70 stock. It'll take a little more skrilla to get your hands on a decent one, but it'll be worth it. Trust me, those Lakotas get boring after a few days.

4. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

I have a 2001 350 cc Yamaha Warrior for a CK5 member price of $1800. I've owned it since new. Also have a 02 LE Raptor 660, worked over. 03 Raptor660, stock. 07 Grizzly 700
    But I think shipping would kill you.

5. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

Just get him to send you some gas money and ride it there. Heck if he wanted to save money on the return trip yall could ride doubles.:D Just had a image of dumb and dumber..........
    [​IMG]
    and there it is.

6. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

Na.........Too many cops show up to my door, when I ride the roads. :doah: Something about double the speed limit, wheelies, and shouldn't be on the road (in the city). :D But I use hand signals, have a helmet on, registered, and insurance.:haha:

7. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

:haha: I remember riding them back in middle school. Got into alot of trouble riding on posted land and down roads. We had utility ones and were mainly conserened with ground clearance and power. I had a 99 300 4wd Artic kitty with 27x12 outlaws out back and 26x12 outlaws up front. Tweaked the front end to have true 4wd and put a 4inch lift on it, had about 13inch inches of clearance under the rear(gotta love IRS on a 4 wheeler). The snorkle was over my head, I was like 4'10" then. I had so much fun with it, but god it was slow. Since I was only about 100 lbs it floated with me on it and with low, superlow range and diff. lock that thing was nasty in the deep stuff.

8. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

I take the one raptor out for the "scary fast", "ouch my shoulder" stuff. And the new grizz, takes me anywere I want to go.

I settled down alot, But I remember sitting at a spot light, with the mall on my right, BK on the left, and a cop behind me! But it's best to ride were you are welcome.

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had a Kawi Lakota 300cc, It moved pretty good. it will do 50mph+ but that isn't important. What you will find is that it won't keep up (especially a 250) with guys on 400cc+ quads. If you're a small guy, you can cheat, if you're a fatso, no way.:D

I sold my Lakota to a flippin' HUGE s.o.b. When he sat on it, the suspension sagged hard. He then asked if it would run with some buddies with 500's.... I said "sure, you'll do ok..":whistle:

Reminded me of that Can-Am commercial where they are working over the two seater on the show room, and that huge fat guy jumps on the back and squishes it down...:haha:

10. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I am 6' and about 190lbs, would a 250 or 300 be okay then?

I found a honda 400 for about 2k with sand tires included, I might jump on that one.

11. Dudge

Dudge 1/2 ton status

The good old Lakota's! I barrel rolled my buddy's running about 40-45 mph or so. It felt GREAT! I rolled like 7 times. Kinda f'd me up a little.

12. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

I would got 350cc and up.

13. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

My friend is selling his 300ex but is bored out to close to 400, it has trimmed fenders, extended axels and swing arms, paddle tires and regular tires included, for 1750, he is a friend of mine that is why it is so cheap.

Should I jump on that?

14. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

I'm not a big honda guy, so I couldn't really tell you yes or no. Not a bad price if it's good condition.

15. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

i've got an 05 suzuki in my sig for sale...and can handle shipping also. i need this thing gone! it's the biggest 250 in it's class also, which is why i bought it.

16. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

That is a nice quad, but I want sporty quad, not a utility, but nice quad!

17. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

thanks man...i love the thing, im just planning on moving, and i need the mulah before i need some of my toys, you know...once im settled down though, ATV's...here i come haha.....good luck with the search bro