Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking of buying my first Diesel, Any suggestions?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Looksback, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

for the past two months I have been looking a a 1983 Chevrolet Suburban "6.2L" K10 that has been for sale, not a bad price "$1900" body is in good shape no rust "But needs paint" the intior is the best I have ever seen. the motor runs good "The person selling it has the papers for the engine rebuild 80K ago"
    Is there anything I should know about the year of diesel's? also were I am located it is vary cool all the time "Northern Montana" would it be a bad choice for my lacation?

Thanks for the help
    LooksBack

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I think everyone on here with a 6.2L likes them... I know I do. 80k is nothing for mileage. You should really plug in the block heater anytime its gets down to freezing.

Personally, I'm weary of 1/2-ton rear ends - especially on a vehicle as heavy as a Suburban. Minor issue though.

Sounds like a decent truck at a great price /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    (4 months ago I paid $3400CDN for my '84 2wd 3/4-ton diesel Burb w/267,000km)

3. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

I like my 6.2 as well, but I hope you can live with going SLOW up hills and don't really expect it to tow too much weight very often. Don't worry too much about the cold until it gets real cold (-10 or lower). If your engine is in good shape you shouldn't have any real problems starting. I don't, and it gets pretty cold where I live. My engine has 210K miles on it, so 80K isn't too bad. You might find out if the injection pump was rebuilt when the engine was.

4. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

Well, I think that i might not go after it than, because that is what my plans for it was towing.

5. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Well, I think that i might not go after it than, because that is what my plans for it was towing.

[/ QUOTE ]
    What are you going to be towing? And you'll get alot better fuel economy with a diesel.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Sorry about calcide's reply about not expecting to tow.
    I can tell you towing or no towing going uphill if you don't have the turbo it will be slow, but it will keep pulling.
    It can tow a house with no problem, all you have to get used to is the limited speeds you can run in it.
    I have one that tops at 70 and the other screams at 80.
    If you want to tow, get the diesel.
    /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm sure gearing makes a big difference as well. I haven't found any hills that slow my truck down any more than what I used to expereince with my 350. I do have 4.56's so that does get a little more torque to the ground./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

8. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

Sorry about calcide's reply about not expecting to tow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand by what I said. There are hills around here a 6.2 Blazer has trouble getting up within 10 MPH of the speed limit, without towing anything. Add the extra weight of a Suburban and the problem will be even worse. I've towed a 12,000 lb 5th wheel through the part of Montana where this person lives (according to his web page), and there are some pretty good hills in that general area as well. Our powerstroke had to work hard on some of the hills.

If you want a truck for towing, get a BIG BLOCK or a TURBO DIESEL. Gearing will get you up the hill, but at the cost of mileage, speed, and frustration. It is better to give someone the straight scoop than to make a 6.2 sound like the world's greatest workhorse and then have them hate their truck.

I forgive you for being sorry, I know you can't help it. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

9. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I agree mines a dog, thats why I want to turbo it and put 4.56s in it. Find out what gears it has in it.

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Calcide, I hope you were not offended, and I didn't praise the 6.2 as being the big dog.
    If you notice I said it will be slow, but not much difference towing or not and I stand by that.
    Plus I added that a turbo would be better, one of mine is turbo and it makes a differencs.
    The only thing that everyone agrees on is the MPG are better with the diesel than a gasser.
    I am trying to give him opinions, I only commented on your message because it sounded like the 6.2 is garbage and he shouldn't even consider it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I feel the n/a 6.2L will town anything a 350 will, maybe even better. A big block will still have lots more raw power, but it will suck the fuel down as well. A turbo 6.2L/6.5L will tow about as well as a big block, and get twice the mileage.

I tow a 29' fifth-wheel with my n/a 6.2L. I've towed it all over the place, even down to Florida and back. It does a good job. You have to keep your foot on the floor most of the time, but it doesn't complain one bit. It tows much better than any small block I've ever owned.

Any n/a diesel won't work well in higher elevations. They just can't get the oxygen needed to burn.

As stated, proper gears make all the difference. A Blazer with 3.08 gears and 35" tires isn't going to tow worth a darn like my 3/4 ton with 4.10 gears and 27" tires will.

Jim Bigley, owner of www.thedieselpage.com , lives in Missoula, MT. You might email him and talk to him about owning and operating a n/a 6.2L in your neck of the woods.

Casey

12. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I just got behind a banks turbo suburban this morning and it hauls ass. It blew me away off the line, though I was driving a 99 chevy express work van with a 305, but it impressed me. I think for that price you cant beat it, if its not strong enough regear it change axels or turbo it.

13. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

Well as for my plans for towing, I have flat bed trailer that I use for getting fire wood "I am trying to gett a job with are local Low Energy Program and I will have to use the trailer for getting fire wood, and I do some ground work were I have to tow some equipment. Also, yes there are large large hills and lot of them that will even slow down big blocks gassers. I do have a truck a '74 Custom C30, that has a 292ci in-line six it can tow about anything but dam its slow and the miles between job sites I would be on the road for about 2 hours for a 12 mile trip.

The reasons I was planing on a Diesel is for the fuel milage.

LooksBack

14. Boggeddown

Boggeddown Registered Member

I have an '84 Blazer w/6.2L Diesel and I have been very pleased with it's performance. While I am personally weary of a 1/2 ton rear on a vehicle as heavey as a 'burb, it sounds like a solid vehicle for a good price. As a side-note I would recomend plugging in the heater block anytime the temp gets around freezing. Also, you were concerned about needing a paint job, I got my Blazer painted for $300 after I furnished the paint, which I bought at an auction for $150 <font color="blue"> </font color> <font color="black"> </font color>

15. Boggeddown

Boggeddown Registered Member

My dad has a '99 Ford F-150, which weighs about 4500 lbs., which we hauled on a trailer for 160 miles through the heart of Mississippi behind my '84 Blazer with the 6.2L turbo 400. I had no problems in towing, performance, etc. The 6.2 is an engine like no other, and is the best I've ever driven.

16. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

I have been looking at that burb agian it is still listed in the classified ads here, and I have been reading about diesel's in cold weather and some of the additives, and other thing that may help, about a week a ago we had some vary cold weather -28 degrees F I even took a photograph of the thumometer "I know thats not spelled right" that is on my web page: http://www.geocities.com/looksback

As for the towing in the posts above a few said that thay will tow about anything but slow how slow in the 35mph range?

Thanks for the help
    LooksBack

17. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

For cold weather problems you run a fuel additive, Stanadyne is very good, and plug it in. Make sure the glow plug system is working right and there should be no problems. Heck, I just found out a week or so ago that I have been starting on a mere 4 glow plugs in this wonderful cold weather without plugging it in.

How slow depends on gear ratios and conditions of the rig, weight, head wind, etc.

18. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

My '81 3/4 ton 2WD with 4.10 gears and 27" tires tows my 29' fifth-wheel RV, which weighs in around 8500 lbs. I can travel on the flatlands at the posted speed limit. Any hills slow me down though, but not too bad. I can maintain 55 to 60 here in the hilly portions of the Ozarks. Big long mountain passes though.....who knows? It all depends on the weight you're pulling, the gearing in the truck, etc.

Casey

19. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I run 308 with 35" tires and when towing or not, going up to Tahoe in the steep long sections I bog down to 40-45, it's just because the diesels have low end torque low in the RPM range, so in higher RPM's not so much, I found my sweet spot, and I am satisfied with the 40MPH min and 75MPH max that I can get from my setup.

20. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Well I run 308 with 35" tires ....40MPH min and 75MPH max that I can get from my setup.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Is that the max you feel safe at or all she has?