Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking of buying this one

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by TexasT, Apr 7, 2003.

1. TexasT

TexasT Registered Member

Hello All,

This is my first post, and I feel privelaged to be among those so knowlegable. I have a '94 model 1500 2wd w200K+ and now I am in the market for a bigger one due to an upgrade in the trailer department(28' enclosed car hauler).
    I've been looking into a 3/4T and came across this one.

1988 Suburban 3/4T , 454/T400, 4.10Gear
    Has TG(which I like) front buckets and two rear benches, PW/PL, rear air, body straight and has been repainted, Runs good, drives well, will need tires in the near future Seller asking $3775 but I got him down to $3000
    I think this is the one for me. Any thoughts/suggestions.
    Thanks

Rich

2. sanddragon2004

sanddragon2004 Registered Member

Id jump on something like that if i found one here! you would expect to pay more like 4500-6k in the bay area.

3. holyjohnson

holyjohnson Registered Member

check the whole mechanical condition of it.test drive and all that.
    if alls well hand the man the money sounds like you got a deal.
    around here same truck is about $4000-$3500 and its next to impossible to find one rust free.
    goodluck

4. holyjohnson

is there a stage 1 in the hauler? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. toynova

toynova Guest

They pay more than that for rust here in Michigan. I'd jump on it.

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

JUST 1/2 TONS RUN 4000 AROUND HERE - EVERYONE KEEPS THE GOOD STUFF THOUGH....

7. TexasT

TexasT Registered Member

I drove it and all was going well until I go back and was ready to turn in. It was kind of on a down hill and I coasted up to it and stopped and the engine died. I tried to restart but the thing wouldn't turn over. I attributed it to sitting and needing a new battery, but I guess it could use a set of cables which I could take care of after purchase. I talked the seller into providing a new battery as part of the sale. No Stage One yet just a GS455. That may be a swap in the future(Big Buick under the hood of the suburban). Big Buick only weighs 100or so # more than the Small Block Chevy. Really just want something to pull the new trailer. Anyone used the dual Cam sway control? Also did the factory provide a 2" receiver as part of a towing pkg? This truck has one that said it was rated for 9000# when using a weight distribution hitch. I might up grade to a new receiver as the one there was held to the frame by two bolts on each side. The Draw tite I have on the 1500 has three bolts on each side and is rated for 10000# when using a weight distibuting hitch. Thanks to all who replied.

Rich

8. holyjohnson

a guy i grew up with had a 70 stage 1 in a 71 riv.car would rip the tires at 70 m.p.h.
    and used to eat IROCs.
    thatd be sweet in a burb.

9. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Factory hitchs were 2" and only used 2 bolts on each side(4 total)

Dan

10. TexasT

TexasT Registered Member

this one might be better

Then I found what I believe fits better. It is Red in and out. '85 3/4T, TG, 454. It has a rod knock, and the rear window needs replaced. This truck is also $1000 cheaper($2000). I figure this way I know what is inside the engine as I'm going to have to tear into it. Draw back as I saw it was it didn't have cats or rear most seat. Body seems very straight and no rust(Texas truck). Drives as niceor nicer than '88, and seems to shift more firmly. I got hold of my brother to see about getting the engine hoist lined up. I think this one is the front runner for purchase. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Rich