Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

thinking of doing a manual swap hydro/vs regular...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by twoslo4five0, Jan 14, 2007.

1. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

im thinking about do the manual swap...should i go hydro or manual linkage...the truck is not a dd but is a street trail rig...i think i want a 465 205 combo...not real clear of the advantages and the difficuly of instillation...i dont know if this applies to the same thing but eventually im gonna run hydro assist steering..fill me in..

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

If you can find it get the hydro clutch

3. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

is taht all there is no real advantage with hydro???

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I have never worked on a manual linkage 465 but I have seen plenty of the NP435's in fords......the linkage gets all out of wack when the rig is flexed and the clutch could not be dis-engaged at times. It made for some funny moments on the trails.

Plus the hydro is easier on your legs.

5. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Go hydro. My '80 lost the linkage on the drive home from work the other day. I had to drive several blocks in stop and go w/o a clutch. Not fun. Hydro, you may have to replace a slave, master, or line someday, but no adjustments, no exploding linkage, no problems. The hydro is a bit more work to install on the firewall, but definately worth it. Hydro is definately on the top of my list of upgrades.

6. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

What everyone else said- go hydro. I used an adapter from advance adapters so I could use my mechanical bellhousing. I've loved my setup and it has never given me problems. Have fun!

7. k30bb468

k30bb468 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It's the only way to go :wink1:
    The mounting locations are factory marked on the firewall so it isn't
    that bad of a job,I think the hardest part was replacing the pedal assy.

8. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yup. The pedals were a PITA.

9. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Same thing happens with Chevys. Especially when the body mounts start to rot away and the cab flexes MUCH more than it's supposed to.

Been there, done that. Get hydro.

10. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

the hydro stuff can be pretty tough to find. i was looking forever and gave up and went mechanical. i really like the setup, only wheeled it once, but it never gave me any trouble getting bound up, etc.

11. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_hcr3.htm

:D

The only problem with this kit is that its for a 10.5" clutch iirc...since I am gonna use a 13" clutch, i guess I am SOL.

12. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

yeah i bought that kit, it's the easy part to find. the pedals are what killed me. i now have everything i need, but i like my manual linkage.

13. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Seems, I'm in the minority here, I've had troubles with the Hydro in my '86 C10, rotted lines, bad master, 3 slave cylinders (C10 is my DD), but the manual linkage in my '73 has never bound up, never given me any troubles.
    I'd say manual linkage all the way, unless your doing hard rocks all the time where the thing is twisted constantly. But even twisted up, my '73 never bound up where I couldn't release the clutch.

The hydro setup in my '97 is even worse, the slave cylinder is the throwout bearing (they call it a hydraulic slave cylinder), goes bad about half way through a clutch, wrecking the clutch disc by spewing fluid all over it. That truck is a pain in the arse to remove the tranny/transfercase too, and nothing like having to do it unexpectedly with half the clutch life left, which I've done twice already.

Anyhow, my vote is for good old reliable manual linkage.

14. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

hydro clutch vs manual, ford vs chebby... .all preference and use... i had hydro in my 86, my 79 has manual, less moving parts and i like it that way... its not that tough if you weigh over 100lbs...