Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking of doing the unthinkable... *Rotor to cap gap. Normal?*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Jan 26, 2007.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

I am at my wits end with my surging at idle issue on my 90 and cannot think of anything else to try. I think i have to take it to a mechanic:( . I just feel totaly lost and helpless. ive done everything i can think of and nothing helps. Today i had the injectors rebuilt becasue in my mind i knew that that was the problem for sure! but i put it all back together and guess what? no change... I just dont know what to do. I can rebuild a motor and an automatic transmision but i cant solve a stupid idle issue on the most simple of fuel injection systems. I am just going to feel like so much less of a man handing the keys over to someone else becasue I cant fix the problem...:frown1: :dunno:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  2. jk5blazer

jk5blazer 1/2 ton status

what do ya mean surge... does it act like you have a cam. Might be a vacum leak. Mine would surge at idle like that and was running real rich. It was the O2 sensor. Hope you figure the problem out!

3. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep, give us more details on what you have done, and how it is acting. One of us may have dealt with a similar problem at some point :)

4. jamber2541

jamber2541 1/2 ton status

plug up every vacuum port on your engine, start it and see how it acts (dont drive) if no problem there then start hooking up one vacuum line at a time and look for changes etc. etc. if there is an initial problem start tightening every single nut and bolt on your intake and throttle body and then move on from there.......worked for me I found the vacuum leak the mechanics could not find.

5. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

can try brake clean or carb cleaner to find a vac leak as well

6. southern customs k5

southern customs k5 Newbie

egr valve stuck open

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Sounds like one I had once, it was a map sensor of maf sensor or whatever ya call that thing.

8. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

used starting fluid to find an intake leak once.

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

That' my bet too. I had the EXACT same problem as you w/ my '87 burb. It happened TWICE in less than a year :mad: . Talk about irritating. Do yourself a favor, if it is your EGR, buy an OEM unit. The ones from the parts store are junk. It's worth the extra 10 bucks for a good one.

10. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Ok dudes. I just rebuilt the motor. It runs perfect as long as its not idleing. and runs the same iwth the egr hooked up or capped off. uive done the carb clean thing to check for leaks and coame up with nothing.all the vacume lines on it are new cause the old ones where crap. When i put the motor back in i replaced the o2 just cause i thought it would be a good idea and the knock sensor because i couldent get the old one out of the block without destroying it. sence then(this is going to sound stupid and it is) ive replaced the map, TPS, had the injector pod rebuilt, and put a 195 t-stat back in(was runing a 180) I even got the thing to pass DEQ.

The problem is this. Your cruising around and you come to a stop light. It runs perfect for about 30-45seconds then it starts to run rough about 5 seconds then sonds like its going to die then idles way back up to about 1500 rpm or so and it does that over and over again. You can make it stop by taping the gas pedal real quick but then again it will run fine 30-45 seconds and start the cycle all over again. but like i said it runs great as long as its not idleing.

11. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

ive seen explorers do that with bad fuel pump relays...

12. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

You may want to take a real close look at the dizzy. On my 90 Burb, it was coming apart under the little metal shield. Don't know what its called, but I knew that cracks in it were bad. It would run ok under load, but it wouldn't idle for squat. I put the trail spare for the blaze in it and it was fine.

13. Steve GMC

Steve GMC 1/2 ton status

same thing happened to our coevette. it was the computer. it would runl ike garbage cold, then when it warmed up it would run better if it wasnt idleing

14. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

man... i just went out and checked the codes and all i get is code 32 EGR but that is becasue i was driving it with it capped off. Does anyone know of a way to test the computer? and i'll pul the cap and rotor off the dist. and see if anything looks a miss.

15. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

Capping off the EGR wont do any good if its stuck open. Sounds like it could be stuck open causing a vacum leak that you can't find with carb cleaner. Pull it off and check it out.

16. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

ok, what exactly would i be looking for to give me a sign that it was stuck open?

17. WRENCH-HEAD

WRENCH-HEAD 1/2 ton status

I've been battling the same problem for a year now. Just started one day and I have yet to figure it out. I'm down to thinking a vacuum leak. If I disconnect the MAP sensor it runs perfect. The techs told me this was because the map sensor is what know if you have a vacuum leak and trys to compensate. So I guess try pulling the vacuum line the MAP sensor and see what happens.

-Alex

18. lrazer

lrazer 1/2 ton status

u check the IAC?

19. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

yea, the Iac can cause it to hunt, try cleaning it out, or getting a new one. also, you need to remove the egr and make a blockoff plate to check it.

20. mike n

mike n 1/2 ton status

What's the TPS reading at idle?