Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

thinking of gettin a m1009 military blazer, any info?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigblubomber, Mar 21, 2007.

1. bigblubomber

bigblubomber Registered Member

Im thinkin about buyin an 86 mil blazer, anybody know any pros and cons? also are the specs the same as a reg. blazer as far as transmission, tcase, etc....

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

All CUCV's (M1008/1009/1010/1028/1031) have the 6.2 diesel and TH400 tranny. They have the J-code intake, the heavy duty emissions one, and are emissions exempt as Federal vehicles even in places that smog diesels :deal:

The vast majority have the NP208 transfer case, except for some of the heavier pickups which have a 205 for PTO.

The M1009 (Blazer) has 3.08:1 gears in 10-bolt axles, with a Gov-lock in the back.

The pickups (all the rest) have 4.56:1 gears in D60/14BFF axles, mostly with Detroits in the back. Some (1028's mostly) have an Auburn (?) up front. [There are a very few duallies which would have a D70HD in back.]

The electrical is weird: part 12V and part 24V. Totally different glow plug controller than civvy trucks, and most have two alternators with floating grounds.

The M1010 is the only one to have AC, and so has just one alternator, from the HMMWV, if memory serves.

I love my '09. It's simple, brute-force, and a fun sometimes-daily driver. A 'wheeler it is not, on those axles, and with that gearing. (Though they do help the fuel economy!)

I would NOT want to take long highway trips in it (the cab is NOISY, plus it lacks a stereo :) ) ... if I had to drive it every day I'd go nuts. This is why my wife and I have six cars =))

I think that's everything you need to know. Watch for rust and wear-n-tear on the motor, more than miles, as these have been sitting around for a loooong time.

-- A

3. bigblubomber

bigblubomber Registered Member

cool thx for all the info, think ill just wait and buy a civvy one, dont know jack about diesels anyway :crazy: sounds like i could buy a better truck locally

4. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

What is the name of the military suburban? I believe those had the 700r4`s in them....

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Burbs were not made under the CUCV program.

I saw one with a four-speed stick, no less, and the 6.2L diesel; otherwise, the services have bought them in various configurations, but as off-the-shelf models, so autos would be a 700R4 in 1/2-tons and TH400's in 3/4's (or 4L80E for 1991 models.)

-- A

6. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

The air force did the burbs. I think (not sure) that all they did was paint a civvy version of a burb, blue. Most of the blue burbs I've seen have been real high miles or tore up really bad.
    George