Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking of getting a '72 K5 - Advice Please

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mcne2026, Nov 30, 2006.

1. mcne2026

mcne2026 Registered Member

Well, I am thinking of getting a '72 K5 on Saturday morning. It is in VERY nice condition. They are asking $10k and I got him down to $8k. It has a new GM 350 Crate motor with 7,000 miles. Rebuilt the stock tranny at the same time. No rust anywhere on the vehicle. Recently painted the factory original Orange. All the seats were redone with new foam and stock covers from LMC. Roll bar installed behind front seats. LineX the whole interior about 10,000 miles ago. Everything works and it fires up right away every time. What do you guys think? I got a few questions about '72's. I have a '75 & '85 but don't know much about 1st Gen models.

1. Is it easy to get a good fitting carpet?

2. I really want to lift it and get offroad front and rear bumpers. All my current sources only make for '73+ models. Is there good aftermarket support for the 1st Gen? If not, I will probably pass on this one.

I am looking to make this a several day a week truck but want to do some moderate wheelin with it. Trails, snow and mud. No rock crawling or anything like that. I have the $8k and can afford to put $2k or $3k into the lift, carpet and other stuff. What do you think? Will I be happy with the aftermarket support?

2. Jimmy4matt

Jimmy4matt Registered Member

There is a fairly large amount of aftermarket support for the mechanical components, but I have yet to find any aftermarket bumpers that look very good on a first gen. It shouldn't be too hard to find a carpet kit for your truck.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Lift kits are easy to find...carpet too.

The only problem will be aftermarket bumpers...though you can probably have those made to your specs by almost any fab shop in your area.

Don't get too much tire, or you'll end up cutting all that nice bodywork and paint!!!

4. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  5. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

BUY IT!

1st gens are just that, first and IMO...BEST. :D

Parts for them are everywhere nowadays, no worries.

Consider this, there's nothing like pulling the top off on a sunny day and driving a 1st gen blazer. :bow: