Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking of getting a GPS for Christmas...

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by KRAZIE87K5, Nov 30, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I've been looking at handheld GPSs... and I think I like the Garmin models. I'm looking at the eTrex Venture.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexVenture/index.html

Does anyone else have this model? I think it will do everything I need... but lets hear from someone who uses this model.

Thanks,
    -Dan

2. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

Cant speak to that model specifically, but the one Ken had when we were in Potosi is the eTrex Legend. The biggest difference I have found between them is the amount of memory they have. When I get one it will likely be the Legend model although the Vista looks pretty cool too.

3. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

I have the etrex camo edition and it works great, it has gotten me out of some pretty ruff country. It also has a fishing and hunting feature that tells you the best hunting and fishing times based on the moon. They are great to have and farely inexpenssive. Hope i helped

Marshall /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

I have the emap and i LOVE it took it Europe when i did a all back roads tour for 4 months in a rent a car 2 years ago i still use when we go "exploring" in the trucks or on the bikes i also use it for sailing and reguler road travel
    oh yea did i say its never let me down and that I LOVE IT ;-)

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I have a Garmin Street pilot that mounts on the dash and I love it. I can remove it from the holder and its a little bulky but not too big to fit into a pocket.

6. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

I have a Garmin Rino 120...

I looked at the eTrex models as well, but opted for the Rino do to the incorporation of a FRS/GMRS radio into the unit. This function also allows you to "beam" your location to users of the same unit. Saves me from having to carry two units and works great on hunting trips! It has all of the features of the eTrex plus some and a better antenna for tree cover. A drawback is that the screen is slightly smaller...

Man, that sounded like a pitch!

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif