Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking of getting a S&W roll cage for my 1st GEN. Anybody used these?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by swyfor5, May 3, 2007.

1. swyfor5

swyfor5 Registered Member

Want to go with a 10 point cage but have many questions.

2. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nice cages for sure.

I just aquired one, just need to get it shipped/delivered now.

What kind of questions?

Post em up so we can get them answered.

3. swyfor5

S&W cage questions

Am thinking of using the EWS for my rig. For what I will use it for, the extra cost of DOM, or C-MOLY is wasted cash. Maybe I'm wrong? Any thoughts? Also I want to keep the hardtop, it must be tricky laying up the cage to do the welding. I am not a welder, so will have to sub this part out. I do have a good welder/fabricator that can do it, but it will cost me. Wow I'm on a roll now. Not real sure how the cage mounts to the frame? Have heard of solid mounts, bushing mts, etc. Well enough questions for now, any help anybody could give me would be great! Thank's, later, Bryan.

4. Uzaree

Uzaree Registered Member

By EWS I'm assuming you mean HREW? You haven't said what you will be doing with it but even in light rock crawling applications if build correctly you'll be fine.

As far a solid or bushing mounts, you want to use bushing mounts if you do street driving. Keep in mind you can use either but the bushing mounts are a softer ride you could say.

5. swyfor5

More cage questions.

I don't know what HREW is, the S&W catalog say's EWS ( electric welded seam ). The DOM is ( drawn over mandrel ). The chrome moly I am told is lighter. The DOM and the chrome moly are the same price, about double that of the EWS. The EWS is .134" wall, the DOM is 120" wall, and c-moly is .083 wall. About usage, my main wheel'in consists of trail riding, hill climbing, mud runs,and all around two tracking. Not a lot of rock crawling here in lower Michigan. Not that I wouldn't want to try a little mild crawling someday! About the frame mounts, I do want to keep this rig as streetable as I can. I don't mean it's ever going to be a daily driver again. Could use some help with the frame mount area because I don't have a clue yet as to how to do this. Anybody got any good pic's of this being done? I suppose I could mount directly to the frame, I am not that concerned with a softer ride. Gotta say this forum is great, only been a member a short while and have learned ton's of info already! Thank's

6. Uzaree

Uzaree Registered Member

HREW is hot rold electric welded. You can build roll cages out of these as well even for rock crawling.

CREW is Cold rold electric welded and is stronger but much harder to find.

DOM is a better choice but as you see much more expensive.

Chrome moly is the strongest but requires special welding to use.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I remember one member ("Chrisk5"?) had an S&W cage in his 1st Gen...

I met him in person back in around 2002. From what I remember, the diameter was only 1.5" and he said that although he liked the final result it was a LOT of hand fitting and cutting to make the cage work.

Basically, you get a big box of bent tubes and it's your job to shorten them and do all the fishmouths, fitment and welding. It's better than nothing, but it still sounds like a pretty involved DIY project.

:usaflag:

8. swyfor5

Cage Q&A

Thank's for all the info guy's. That box full of bent tubes is kinda what I figured it was. S&W sells a tube notcher- no wonder. Any ideas on another way to go? I know I'm not going to buy a premade cage to just bolt/weld in. This is a little out of my league, but I will find a way. I do know a welder/fabricator that can do the job. Only problem is he's not a friend of mine! Oh well, no one said it was going to be cheap-or easy! Anyone know of any other companys selling cages/cage kits? Help!

9. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Check out M-Tech for a notcher.
    www.mtechsales.com

I got one of theirs so I could do the tube doors and it works really well.
    (get the HD version, it's worth the extra $$)

10. swyfor5

cage Q&A

Thank's for the info on M-TECH. So far the S&W setup looks like the way to go. I am leaning toward just using the plates and bolting/welding to the body floor instead of the frame. I know the frame is probably the safest, but for my usage it'll be ok. Any ideas you guy's have are sure welcome. Also, a concern of mine is how much clearance to leave between the cage and the original hard top? I know these rigs flex alot, and I dont want to damage my top. I was thinking of what happens in most rollovers, when you really might need a cage for protection. Most off road rollovers might be considered tipovers. You tip over onto your side enough to need protection inside the vehicle. Another rollover would be a rollover all the way onto the top of the vehicle. The more I think about it, the frame mounted cage is the safest. I just don't know which way to go for my use. I can see now that the body mount method is way easier to install. Oh, but didn't I just say the frame mount method is the safest? Any ideas?

11. swyfor5

cage Q&A

Thank's for the info on M-TECH. So far the S&W setup looks like the way to go. I am leaning toward just using the plates and bolting/welding to the body floor instead of the frame. I know the frame is probably the safest, but for my usage it'll be ok. Any ideas you guy's have are sure welcome. Also, a concern of mine is how much clearance to leave between the cage and the original hard top? I know these rigs flex alot, and I dont want to damage my top. I was thinking of what happens in most rollovers, when you really might need a cage for protection. Most off road rollovers might be considered tipovers. You tip over onto your side enough to need protection inside the vehicle. Another rollover would be a rollover all the way onto the top of the vehicle. The more I think about it, the frame mounted cage is the safest. I just don't know which way to go for my use. I can see now that the body mount method is way easier to install. Oh, but didn't I just say the frame mount method is the safest? Any ideas?

12. swyfor5

Wow, been a month, anybody out there got a S&W cage in a 1st. gen? I could use any input on this topic. Really want a cage in my k5.

13. swyfor5

Wow, I thought this would be a hot topic. All the custom cages are really nice, where do I go from here? The cage is a very important part of any serious k5 buildup, am I right or not? Think I might have to find a custom fabricator for this project!

14. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

You might want to try over in the '73 to '91 truck/Blazer section because there are ten times more rigs made during those years than our 1st. Gen.'s.

15. Big91RustyBucket

Big91RustyBucket 1/2 ton status

A friend has one. I think it is garbage. His was in an 84 . It was a ton f work to do to get it in , and I just think it was lacking. You pay a few hundred for some bent tube's then do a ton of work to get it done.

16. swyfor5

But, I'm talking about 1st. gen application here. I've seen many pic's of 1st. gens here with cages. That's why I'm looking at custom fab, can't seem to find much info here that helps me out.

17. ChefBear

ChefBear 1/2 ton status

I've got the SW cage sitting on the side of my garage waiting to go in. Everything is notched and cut ready to go, we'll see... ask me in a month

18. Big91RustyBucket

Big91RustyBucket 1/2 ton status

But what I am saying is it is still the same company and similar pricing.Do what you want but I would keep looking if it were me, after seeing how bad my friend's looked.

19. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Custom is the way to go... unless you already own a bender, notcher and welder and know how to use them you aren't going to get good results with a one-size-fits-all cage kit.

A decent fabrication shop should be able to build you a cage with the features YOU want for a couple grand. Important considerations are headroom (clearance)....fitment under the existing hardtop if you run one, compatibility with the softtop frames, etc. Integral seat mounts, frame connectors, clearance for A/C vents (if you have them) grab handles where you want them, etc, etc.

I'm not sure if you are being realistic about what a quality cage will cost you or not (does $1500 - $2000 seem reasonable to you?)....but this is a critical safety item if you wheel, and a strong well-built cage is not an area to try to get "cheap" in your build.

Just some things to consider... Too bad you weren't closer, I've built 1st Gen cages before and have most of the dimensions figured out pretty well for the bends, mounting locations, etc.

:usaflag:

20. swyfor5

Thank's, Greg72. That is what I was looking for, great advice. The cost is not a problem, not that I'm made of money but I do have lots of time. I want to do it right. Anyway you could help me out with some of those dimensions? I want to run my hardtop, but also go with a soft top of some sorts at times. Am going to look for a shop to do this as close to home as possible. Thank's for all the help guy's!